IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

I just want to say, i'm really upset about this guys- it didn't just crash my computer... first, it froze it; after rebooting, chrome wouldn't open. So I tried several different fixes, finally decided to take it back to a prior restore date. Except it wouldn't because it was hanging up on Malwarebytes. After a great deal more attempts, I had to put it in safe mode, remove Malwarebytes, and then I had 6 dates available. It wouldn't restore to 5 of those dates. I am lucky the last one worked. Then once restore was finished, I tried to run my windows update since I had to restore back to the middle of December and updates had been pushed by MS. It wouldn't update. I had run Chkdsk, then run a diagnostic to get updates to turn back on. I would have thought my odeyssy was over, but no...now Chrome won't open. So I had to competely uninstall/reinstall Chrome, only to find that an extension I use for work was also corrupted. All in all it started in around 11-12ish and it took me all day. I wasn't able to work, and lost quite a bit of money since i'm an IC. The only reason i'm staying is because it previously has been very good protection- but i'm here to tell you if you pull that again I will no longer be a malwarebytes customer. (and honestly, I should get my pro subscription refunded considering I lost $100.00 yesterday due to this error...i'm paying for protection, not to be hindered from job by the protection!).  

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it wasn't very hard to get the computers working again.

- Msg came up 'not enough memory'

<CRTL-SHIFT-ESC> : 'Resource Monitor' <click>

<Select tab 'memory'> 'What is the culprit here, ah MBAM service, very well, probably a pushed update that's gone wrong, lets go kill it'

Open Malwarebytes, options, switch off self protect and switch off starting with windows > Reboot system

FIXED

28 minutes ago, ebergerly said:

Wonderful. So the vast majority of millions of actual users who are least prepared to resolve it, and need the info most, are the ones who don't get it. 

I would say most of them were too busy with the problem to worry about an email. There are still many with one computer and no smart phone.

Also there are many re sellers who have sold Malwarebytes over the years who don't have the capacity to even send mails out even if they new about the issue at all.  Also those who purchased the boxed retail copy do not have their email on file anywhere.

Please, folks, please, lighten up on the braggadocio, the chest-thumping, and reaching around your own shoulder to pat yourselves on the back because you were lucky enough to know how to handle what is to the vast majority of users a f'kin disaster. Please stop the self-aggrandizing and arrogant smirking.

Most of MBs users are merely folks who heard this was a great program from someone or some source they trusted then installed it and perhaps bought the premium upgrade. 

Most of MBs users are still lost in the wilderness of tech fog and tech babble; a lot of it from egomaniacal techies suffering an overdose of testosterone. 

They're all FUBAR now. And will continue to be for days while the fix is globally disseminated.

Moreover, by far, most users don't even know and never will know about this forum. 

While repair shops and contractors make a ton of money on this, real people in real world situations are not able to pay their bills that they're increasingly being forced to pay online, they aren't able to communicate with kids away at school, grandparents can't see their grandbabies, and kids who have to use computers for homework aren't learning.

Have some compassion for people. 

You know, since you're so darned good, try calling some folks who you think might be affected and ask them if they are affected, and if they are, ask them if you could go to their site and fix the problem for them. 

Since you're so smart. 

I'll apologize for my rant now. But I won't take it back.

In the last few days we are getting the 'attached image' reminders to 'upgrade' when the  'cursor over taskbar image' shows Premium 'Up to date', and also the 'Open Malwarebytes' interface shows 'Updates:  Current'.
When we tried the popup 'Upgrade' it messed up the PC, and we had to unistall, repair W7, etc and go back to a previous mb3-setup-consumer-3.1.2.1733-1.0.160-1.0.2251.exe to reinstall and then update.
Is this part to this topic problem, or should we be posting to another topic?
Please advise.
Thank you.

Mbam-NewVersionPopup-180128.jpg

30 minutes ago, Walo said:

Please, folks, please, lighten up on the braggadocio, the chest-thumping, and reaching around your own shoulder to pat yourselves on the back because you were lucky enough to know how to handle what is to the vast majority of users a f'kin disaster. Please stop the self-aggrandizing and arrogant smirking.

Most of MBs users are merely folks who heard this was a great program from someone or some source they trusted then installed it and perhaps bought the premium upgrade. 

Most of MBs users are still lost in the wilderness of tech fog and tech babble; a lot of it from egomaniacal techies suffering an overdose of testosterone. 

They're all FUBAR now. And will continue to be for days while the fix is globally disseminated.

Moreover, by far, most users don't even know and never will know about this forum. 

While repair shops and contractors make a ton of money on this, real people in real world situations are not able to pay their bills that they're increasingly being forced to pay online, they aren't able to communicate with kids away at school, grandparents can't see their grandbabies, and kids who have to use computers for homework aren't learning.

You know, since you're so darned good, try calling some folks who you think might be affected and ask them if they are affected, and if they are, ask them if you could go to their site and fix the problem for them. 

Since you're so smart. 

I heard about MWB via a google search for the top 10 Malware programs and for years used the free version. I bought the premium when a PC tech worked on my PC that I had forgot to install the free version. In fact, last year when I bought the premium version it was the first time I ever paid for one. I also purchased a anti-virus program. I waited over 24 hours to try the fix MWB Labs put out because I wasn't sure it would work, but it did.

When this thing hit, I tracked down the culprit and disabled MWB.

I appreciate your rant!

The Service continues to chew up all my physical memory until my PC  (windows 7) will no longer respond.  I was able to kill the service and disable it.  I turned off all real time protections and self protection and rebooted the computer.  I checked for an update but the program is showing my copy as current. MBAMService is version 3.1.0.595, MBAM is 3.0.0.1284.

Porthos
Thanks much for the help !
Seems to have worked per attached, and some after the fact re-openings of MbamPrem.
We will see how the PC reacts :) , so far so good.
Thanks again !

47 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It is not the same but just
Can you please get the build from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3
Run the installer on top of your existing product. You don't need to uninstall anything.
Please let us know if that solves the issue
Thanks.

Mbam-NewVersionPopup-180128a.jpg

Edited by akm
1 hour ago, Spinner said:

Well it wasn't very hard to get the computers working again.

- Msg came up 'not enough memory'

<CRTL-SHIFT-ESC> : 'Resource Monitor' <click>

<Select tab 'memory'> 'What is the culprit here, ah MBAM service, very well, probably a pushed update that's gone wrong, lets go kill it'

Open Malwarebytes, options, switch off self protect and switch off starting with windows > Reboot system

FIXED

This is what I did. No worries..

Those on this blog should give themselves a pat on the back for persistence to have made it this far, for looking past the aloofness of MB tech assist.  I have little to complain about compared to those who are responsible for customers or networks of any size.

Should we communicate with somebody within Malwarebytes, who has a big stake in the company?

One "small error" in an update, followed by hours of twisting in the wind? We were left to discover the problem ourselves. Still cannot wrap my head around why it wasn't at least posted on the official MB website in large bold colors. I cannot express how I feel. MB could have gained more followers if they had just been quick to communicate. Now, they may lose.

Yesterday, I thought my system was slow because I forgot to log in to the internet at startup. Curiously, after logging in, the Win 7 Systems Config Utility showed Malwarebytes and the entire list were set to launch on startup. Crazy. It was not originally set up this way.

After several crashes and MB v 3 Premium taking forever to run, I followed a link on the MB app to the blog with details and updates. At that time, I had the most recent version of MB and updates, so I rebooted for the 4th time. What about those who through no fault of their own, did not have alternate access to the internet and the blog, were probably hosed for allot longer?

Have no idea, but not sure it should be broadcast on Media, possibly opening the doors for more sinister problems for MB customers.

This is my first tryout with MB. My inherited laptop was having unbelievable scary issues, so I installed MB v 3.3 Premium 1/17/2018. MB tech says too bad, it will not re-issue trial version for days lost due to MB issue. Purchase with 30 day $ back guarantee.

v 3.3 Premium found 86 items, 4 were malware. And I thought the other user and I had done everything possible to remain squeeky clean. Prior to installing MB, I did some research and found it might be prudent to use more than one security app. I may or may not drop MB but I will never use it as sole protection. MB blog is one of the good things about MalwareBytes.
1 hour ago, Walo said:

Since you're so smart. 

Thanks Walo! You are spot on! I just got my flu ridden carcass out of bed and made a few calls. As to the forum here (where there's MB staff & other techs much brighter than me), I'll just repeat (for whatever it’s worth) the low tech steps (in my particular case) that allowed me to get the MB fix loaded and out of the woods (without uninstalling/reinstalling MB). “ I booted Windows in “Safe Mode” (tapping F8 while booting), pulled up  “Services”, set the MB service (there’s just 1) from Automatic to Manual, then hit the stop button (on the same MB service screen)  & then rebooted again in normal mode.  When Windows came back up, the memory usage had dropped back to normal (because MB didn’t try to auto load on boot) and I was then able to update MB with the fix. The memory leak did not cause any damage or corruption on my workstation, rather it just froze a number of processes consistently and kept me from loading the fix to stop the leak. I haven't read all the 25 pages that have accrued since I posted this earlier today. So, there's probably plenty of more useful info in there than what I have posted here.  But thought I'd throw it out again. Good luck to everyone still weathering this storm (both MB users & MB alike). 

One other comment I always make to myself during situations like this (again for whatever it's worth) is to “document all the steps I’ve tried thus far” (before those steps become a tower of babble in my own head and I can’t remember everything I’ve tried and in what order). Sometimes that info helps me know if there’s anything I need to set back to default (because it didn’t solve the problem anyways) or is useful when seeking advice from techs who know the particular issues in detail. It sometimes gives me an exit out of a wrong rabbit hole I went down and I've been down plenty of them.

Thanks also Walo... I spent hours yesterday trying to figure out what was going on. Thought it was our laptops.

I have trusted MWB for about 9 years to protect me and they have been flawless. In fact on occasion I look to see that they are still there in the background...other than an occasional pop up saying that they blocked something. Could have been better notification, assuming that they should have most everyone's e-mail  and they could have sent out a blurp...but we goth through it.

51 minutes ago, SawtoothID said:

Thanks Walo! You are spot on! I just got my flu ridden carcass out of bed and made a few calls. As to the forum here (where there's MB staff & other techs much brighter than me), I'll just repeat (for whatever it’s worth) the low tech steps (in my particular case) that allowed me to get the MB fix loaded and out of the woods (without uninstalling/reinstalling MB). “ I booted Windows in “Safe Mode” (tapping F8 while booting), pulled up  “Services”, set the MB service (there’s just 1) from Automatic to Manual, then hit the stop button (on the same MB service screen)  & then rebooted again in normal mode.  When Windows came back up, the memory usage had dropped back to normal (because MB didn’t try to auto load on boot) and I was then able to update MB with the fix. The memory leak did not cause any damage or corruption on my workstation, rather it just froze a number of processes consistently and kept me from loading the fix to stop the leak. I haven't read all the 25 pages that have accrued since I posted this earlier today. So, there's probably plenty of more useful info in there than what I have posted here.  But thought I'd throw it out again. Good luck to everyone still weathering this storm (both MB users & MB alike). 

One other comment I always make to myself during situations like this (again for whatever it's worth) is to “document all the steps I’ve tried thus far” (before those steps become a tower of babble in my own head and I can’t remember everything I’ve tried and in what order). Sometimes that info helps me know if there’s anything I need to set back to default (because it didn’t solve the problem anyways) or is useful when seeking advice from techs who know the particular issues in detail. It sometimes gives me an exit out of a wrong rabbit hole I went down and I've been down plenty of them.

Thanks to you, SawtoothID, for writing out the steps you took in a way that most users can figure out. I wish there was an easier way to broadcast the info. You're right, a complex fix is not required. My desktop was hosed right off due to a power outage that caused it to shutdown. Starting it up also started my day of frustration because I started looking down the wrong hole right off. Fortunately, my laptop was asleep whilst this all went down. After I figured out the issue, I was able to start it up and open Task Manager right away where I ended the Malwarebytes Service task. I think that does the same thing as going into Services and stopping the service there. Anyway, the result was the same: a delay of memory consumption. After restarting, the laptop has worked fine.

I agree 100% about documenting every step either to later help yourself or tech support back out of a rabbit hole or undo stuff that didn't need to be done, such as disabling the Fast Startup feature that I posted about earlier today.

I also am not aware of any further issues or damages to either software or hardware.

It's too easy to get angry -- even though I was terribly frustrated and could've become very angry at MB -- in the heat of the moment. As you mentioned, I too hope for the best and send my sympathies to both MB users who are still wandering in the dark and the MB company itself as they try to recover from this stupendously expensive and humiliating experience.

Be well.

•  
  •  
  • Amen
  •  
  •  
10 hours ago, GtomWilliams said:

I am convinced that all those posting congratulating MB on doing such a “magnificent job” are post by employees or non-affected trolls. 

Then you need to get a life.  Read back, and you will see that I was one of those affected (15,6GB of VM used by MWB).  And as for being an employee of MWB, I wish -- I am ten years into retirement and have paid for all of my MWB licences out of my own pocket.  But the real difference between you and I is that I live in the real world, where mistakes happen; I have made mistakes, I have no doubt that you have made mistakes, and on this occasion MWB made a mistake.  But they identified it, reported it (on the forum), and set to rectifying it in a timely manner.  What more could any reasonable person ask ?

Edited 9 hours ago by small
Correct grammatical error.
Edited by thais
10 minutes ago, thais said:

Then you need to get a life.  Read back, and you will see that I was one of those affected (15,6GB of VM used by MWB).  And as for being an employee of MWB, I wish -- I am ten years into retirement and have paid for all of my MWB licences out of my own pocket.  But the real difference between you and I is that I live in the real world, where mistakes happen; I have made mistakes, I have no doubt that you have made mistakes, and on this occasion MWB made a mistake.  But they identified it, reported it (on the forum), and set to rectifying it in a timely manner.  What more could any reasonable person ask ?

Edited 9 hours ago by small
Correct grammatical error.

Well said, thais! The sign of a true professional is not whether or not mistakes are made but how mistakes are managed.

• Staff

Updated guidance, tools, and processes have been posted in the following post:

Please refer to the new guidance for any and all situations where the previous guidance was failing.

Thanks and again, sorry for all the troubles this is causing people. We are deeply sorry and continue to work throughout the weekend and night to make things right. If you are still affected, please feel free to reach out to me directly at pbustamante@malwarebytes.com.

Thank you Porthos,

Issue solved - via un-install and re-install per your link provided.

Thank you MBAW staff for your fast response.

In the future may I suggest a mass mailing notification to advise of these type of issues... to prevent the mass frustration experienced my so many.

Task manager, processes, sort by cpu/memory - MSconfig / stop services is a simple initial solution, but I imagine the vast majority of your retail customers are unaware of such basic troubleshooting...

Kind regards, 

Edited by hwkaiser
grammar