IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

• Root Admin

Original message (Jan 27, 2018):

Earlier this morning, we published a protection update that caused connection issues for many of our customers. As a side effect of the web protection blocks, the product also spiked memory usage and possibly caused a crash. We have triaged this issue and pushed a protection update that resolves it.

If the update does not resolve the issue automatically for you, please shut down web protection, check for protection updates, and restart your computer.

The root cause of the issue was a malformed protection update that the client couldn't process correctly. We have pushed upwards of 20,000 of these protection updates routinely. We test every single one before it goes out. We pride ourselves on the safety and accuracy of our detection engines. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

We are working hard to not only triage your issues and get your computer or business back up and running but to also rebuild your trust. We are going to overhaul how we publish these protection updates so that this never happens again.

I am personally available to discuss both on this forum via personal message or at mkleczynski@malwarebytes.com

Updated message (Feb 2, 2018): 

I have split my time over the last five days helping many of you resolve remaining issues due to this weekend’s incident and listening to your feedback. A key takeaway was the need for fuller documentation on how we intend to prevent incidents like this in the future. You can find a response from Malwarebytes Research and Engineering outlining that here. For a complete description and root cause analysis please click here.

Next week we will also be introducing a status page that indicates if Malwarebytes is having issues with any updates or with accessibility to any of our systems. The status page will be used to supplement customer communication, not replace it.

If you're in need of steps to remedy the issue, please go here:

Note: edits made by msherwood to adjust formatting and layout of Marcin's post.

Edited by msherwood
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Lunatic59 said:

Has the offending update been pulled? I have a few laptops that need to be booted, but not if the update gets pushed automatically.

Is there an ETA for the fix?

Restart Malwarebytes if it isn't already running, have it check for updates and download the new protection update.  Close it and have it relaunch - it should work, and if not, stop the service, close the program, restart the service and then launch again.

OMG! I have referred Malwarebytes and installed on several friends computers as well as mine, my phone is ringing off the hook. I uninstalled in order to use my Surface Pro, I am not sure I will reinstall at this point. Having said that, this has been my protection for many years without incidence and I am sorry this happened. I won't reinstall until I feel safe doing so.

Just now, Bob_b said:

Already pulled it from 5 laptops.  If I reinstall will this have the fixed code?

It may need to download the update (if the downloaded binaries don't include the latest yet), but the worst of it should just require a restart of MBAM once you've downloaded the update on a new install.

Hi, thanks for solving the issue quickly, ive had issues in the past but none have been handled as quickly as this one

id like to also apologies as i did slate the software in other threads but after reading your message made me understand that you aint as bad as i thought you were

id like to say it was just in the heat of the moment as i thought my system had been hacked but its just me jumping to conclusions

sorry again and thank you for the great work you put into the software it really does get noticed by myself and alot of other people 

10 minutes ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

The root cause of the issue was a malformed protection update that the client couldn't process correctly. We have pushed upwards of 20,000 of these protection updates routinely. We test every single one before it goes out. We pride ourselves on the safety and accuracy of our detection engines. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

His

Hi Marcin,

thanks for the timely update. Everything works fine again. Just out of curiosity. Do you think that this malformed protection is in any way related to the malformed protection ClamAV rolled out yesterday, which brought their scanner down?