Malwarebytes Freezes-Crashes Computers

Is anyone else having this problem as of today???

At around 10:30 am Central time on January 27, 2018, my Dell laptop Precision 2800 with Windows 7 froze. It was obvious the hard drive was running at near full speed and using 98% of my 8GB memory. Trying to search for the cause was impossible as it was frozen on my desktop. When it was obvious that it wasn't going to change I had to do a hard shutdown by removing the battery. After starting the Malwarebytes icon in the tray was showing an old problem that hadn't shown up in a long time: The protection for the web browser was turned off and could not be turn on manually. I was able to exit malwarebytes but it turned back on. As soon as the red warning symbol showed up on top of the icon, the computer went into overdrive again. Again, I had to do a hard shutdown. Upon startup I went in to services.msc and disabled Malwarebytes. On startup everything was fine.

In the meantime my wife informed me that her fairly new Dell desktop with Windows 10 was "showing a blue screen". I went it and thankfully it wasn't the BSofD. It simple showed that windows did not start correctly. I restarted her computer and came back to my laptop.

Not wanting to jump to conclusions, I decided to turn back on malwarebytes and restart laptop. Sure enough, the exact same thing happened. After the 3rd hard shutdown and restart I disabled malwarebytes and restarted. Now, after about 45 minutes the computer is doing fine.

Shortly thereafter my wife informed me that the blue screen was back on her Windows 10 desktop. I went in and found the same thing. Upon restarting, I noticed that the malwarebytes tray icon has the red warning symbol. I checked and it was the same as my laptop: Browser protection was not running. I went into services.msc and disabled malwarebytes. Problem solved. No "blue screen" anymore.

To me it's obvious that some sort of update to malwarebytes caused this problem as after disabling malwarebytes I was able to keep computers running long enough to check for other updates. (Obviously I can't check for any malwarebytes updates because it's disabled.)  I have my Windows 7 laptop updates set to "notify only" and I will download and update. I check my Norton and no updates since early morning, and I had been using my laptop nearly 4 hours before the problem started. I have no other protection software besides Norton and Malwarebytes.

So, again, has anyone else seen this problem today??????

Yes I have several customers coming into our store today all with the same symptoms whats going on guys? We have tech's on site getting calls for this as well all today some complaining its been happening for days...

@Porthos @exile360 this probably needs to get escalated ASAP

Edited by uturn0427

Same Problem

Uninstall, reinstall only fixes the problem temporarily before it starts to gobble up every bit of my 16gb of ram and starts to work my CPU until my Computer crashes. 

Is this some sort of new feature? I suppose your computer cant get infected with new malware if it's unusable. Thanks Malwarebytes!

Yes, this happened to me last night. Malwarebytes (Premium) was using 8 million k of my memory, increasing every second. The problem I found was that Web Protection was turned off, and when I tried to turn it on it sat at 'starting' indefinitely.

(Edit this happened between 2:45 and 4 am Australian time.)

I uninstalled, CCleaned and reinstalled, and Malwarebytes seems fine today, but I really, really do not want this to happen again. It crashed my computer several times.

Edited by Lisselle

Mine didn't crash, but my boyfriends did. Which he is on my account, different computer.  I have to say the instructions for getting the update were not the best step by step, or true to tabs, step by step.  However, I had him reinstall from the link I gave him and the update was on the reinstall.  All is running great now.   Check your version, I have the updated version 1.0.3808 as he does now and all is working great. 

21 hours ago, GlenEBush said:

Is anyone else having this problem as of today???

At around 10:30 am Central time on January 27, 2018, my Dell laptop Precision 2800 with Windows 7 froze. It was obvious the hard drive was running at near full speed and using 98% of my 8GB memory. Trying to search for the cause was impossible as it was frozen on my desktop. When it was obvious that it wasn't going to change I had to do a hard shutdown by removing the battery. After starting the Malwarebytes icon in the tray was showing an old problem that hadn't shown up in a long time: The protection for the web browser was turned off and could not be turn on manually. I was able to exit malwarebytes but it turned back on. As soon as the red warning symbol showed up on top of the icon, the computer went into overdrive again. Again, I had to do a hard shutdown. Upon startup I went in to services.msc and disabled Malwarebytes. On startup everything was fine.

In the meantime my wife informed me that her fairly new Dell desktop with Windows 10 was "showing a blue screen". I went it and thankfully it wasn't the BSofD. It simple showed that windows did not start correctly. I restarted her computer and came back to my laptop.

Not wanting to jump to conclusions, I decided to turn back on malwarebytes and restart laptop. Sure enough, the exact same thing happened. After the 3rd hard shutdown and restart I disabled malwarebytes and restarted. Now, after about 45 minutes the computer is doing fine.

Shortly thereafter my wife informed me that the blue screen was back on her Windows 10 desktop. I went in and found the same thing. Upon restarting, I noticed that the malwarebytes tray icon has the red warning symbol. I checked and it was the same as my laptop: Browser protection was not running. I went into services.msc and disabled malwarebytes. Problem solved. No "blue screen" anymore.

To me it's obvious that some sort of update to malwarebytes caused this problem as after disabling malwarebytes I was able to keep computers running long enough to check for other updates. (Obviously I can't check for any malwarebytes updates because it's disabled.)  I have my Windows 7 laptop updates set to "notify only" and I will download and update. I check my Norton and no updates since early morning, and I had been using my laptop nearly 4 hours before the problem started. I have no other protection software besides Norton and Malwarebytes.

So, again, has anyone else seen this problem today??????

I hope you found the answer.  Here's the link to the announcement: https://support.malwarebytes.com/   Of if you don't trust that,  go to malwarebytes.com on your browser and click support.  There will be a little Mega phone icon followed by : ANNOUNCEMENT:  It will tell you all that happened.