MBAMservice.exe runaway CPU & memory use

A Malwarebytes process kicked into high gear around 2 hours ago on my Win7 Professional desktop.

Once it kicked off the process was using 25% of CPU on the Quad processor continuously, with memory that just keeps growing at around 100 Mbytes per minute.

If I kill the process then it restarts and repeats. If I leave the process then it outgrows all physical memory, the PC goes unresonsive and the only way out is the big red switch.

The PC was happy for several hours before this started, so it may have been some signiture download that triggered this (or something completely different).

Right now i ran the diag utilities you suggest and then uninstalled Malwarebytes - the PC also has AVG installed.

Re-installing from a new download doesnt help - same issue repeats.

This has happened to me before so isnt it time for MWB to put some bounds checks and external control into your memory resident processes?

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

mb-check-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

My computer (Windows 7 )  has the same issue. I am running out of memory every 10 minutes. Real Time protection cannot run, It is not specific

related to any browser and I will attempt full uninstall of malwarebytes. Started this am.  Only other protection module is MS Security Essentials.

Edited by RedCoyote
typos

After an hour on fighting, on Win 10 on a Surface Pro 3, Malwarebytes going crazy and increasing memory use to 98% and crashing my computer several times. I tried to disable the startup at Windows start but could not get that to happen/  So for the first time in a decade or so I just uninstalled Malwarebytes.  Not good.

Before it happened I had suddenly gotten a Malwarebytes warning that I was missing an important live protection and to click to enable it - I did but no info was shown me.  Instead, Malwarebytes process for memory use just went crazy.  I fought it for an hour.  Enough.  Any explanation?  TaskManager showed it gobbling memory very quickly.  Version 3.3.1.2183.

It's a paid version.  What should I do now?  I may install antimalware temporarily

Lifetime licence holder here. Windows 7 x64. About 6pm Saturday 27th January 2018 (to affix a specific time to the problem) Malwarebytes' MBAMservice started hogging memory (all of my 4Gb) to the extent the system effectively froze. Eventually managed to do a tidy reboot but the problem started again as soon as the syem came up - memory usage gradually increased from the normal 8-900Mb idling to 97 & 98%.

I stopped the service which started again. Half an hour later we're in the same situation so I stopped the service and left the service message open. I assume that because I had't completed the process of stopping the service the system did not restart the service, and I was eventually able to get onto the forum website.

It might be of note that in the last week or so I have seen regular messages from Malwarebytes, after my system is started, that real time protection is not running. Also, this morning I noticed that the cabinet fan was running constantly, which it normally doesn't do.

Log files attached.

mb-check-results.zip

41 minutes ago, eric01 said:

I just discovered the exact same problem as member Andrys has. My computer is windows 7. The only way I could stop my physical memory from going to 99 and freezing my machine was to uninstall Malwarebytes. I am a premium user. This is BAAAAAAAD. Please help us!

In my case, I got a notice my computer was running out of memory and to close the browser, which was completely non-responsive. so I couldn't close it.

Instead, the laptop shut down and would not turn on anymore.  I used the special key-combo to try to force a turn-on and it put me on the dreaded BIOS-configuration screen, something you don't want to use unless absolutely necessary.

After it finally came back up after more special key-combos. I just watched it get to 50-98% quickly and Ended it and then tried to Stop Services but couldn't, and that's when I decided to just uninstall my paid 3.31 Malwarebytes.  I did network repair services (CNE) for a living for some years and so I wondered how the average computer user was dealing with this and was glad I didn't have to worry about that these days.

Now to find my purchase-email with registration info :-)  

• Staff

We're sorry you had issues with our program today. We've addressed the issue and here's what you need to do to fix it.

*** How to resolve / verify you have the fixed update package ***

• Update package version 1.0.3803 or higher contains the fix
  • To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second or even third reboot may be needed.
  • To verify you have this update, go to Settings ->  About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

To learn more about what happened, please go here:

If you continue to have issues or experience new ones, please start a new thread and we'll happily look into that for you.

• Swiped locked this topic