RubbeR DuckY

IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage Issue

1 minute ago, goobergal5 said:

Click Search and type Services.

Find Malwarebytes, double-click it and change the service to disabled and click Apply. You can *try* to stop the service, but I found this simply errors out.

Try killing process in task manager.

Another option is to open a command prompt as Administrator or Command Prompt (Administrator) depending on your version of windows.

Type taskkill /f /im mbamservice.exe and see if that kills the process.

If you still get Access Denied, you may not have admin rights on the machine, which is required for all of what I posted to work.

If you still want malwarebytes protection through this mess, just uninstall V3. 

Install V2, Do NOT update the definitions until AFTER activation. 

Once activated, Turn off Website Blocking and then do the updates. 

you will at least have real time protection. Thats how I am using it right now. 

Happening to me too. I can't disable it in Services either. It kills the process, gives an error message saying it can't stop the service because it terminated unexpectedly. Then it starts up again :(

You don't need to uninstall the program, just shut it down. At the right end of the taskbar near the clock find malwarebytes icon, usually you have to left click the up arrow. Right click on the icon and select Quit Malwarebytes (or something similar, I have already shut it down). This will not uninstall the program, so after the next restart repeat the steps unless the problem is solved.

2 minutes ago, PhoenixDragon said:

The current running theory on Reddit and by some here is they have been hacked.  It is questionable.  The staff has acknowledged there is a problem with the latest program update, but they have not addressed why their activation servers are offline too.  Further, I do believe Malwarebytes does test things before releasing updates and it would seem doubtful that they would miss these problems being reported (high ram, cpu, services failing, etc...).

I would suggest you temporarily uninstall and wait until the problem has been fully resolved. 

Activation sever: my theory is they've DDOSd themselves. Processes restart and I guess try and contact the activation server....... so now millions of PCs are hitting the activation server repeatedly.

Just now, LadyFitzgerald said:

That didn't work. the stupid thing keeps working.

ive uninstalled and my pc is completely fine, im just waiting for a fix to all these issues now 

I was just starting to think I did something after installing ProcessLasso & disabled services, applied registry fixes for TC/IP & ran TCP optimizer shortly before making a small overclock, causing MWB too chew memory & fail to reach the licence server.  I just uninstalled it for now. Don't know how this happened through this program has always been well behaved up until now.

I am not able to disable Malware! It keeps restarting and using up memory and locking up my system.  I am uninstalling on all systems.

Edited by petersondm

Well after ending the task like 50 times in task manager it seems to have stopped going up. Going to give it a minute to start again but I ain't touching MB so it won't restart itself. 

3 minutes ago, PhoenixDragon said:

The current running theory on Reddit and by some here is they have been hacked.  It is questionable.  The staff has acknowledged there is a problem with the latest program update, but they have not addressed why their activation servers are offline too.  Further, I do believe Malwarebytes does test things before releasing updates and it would seem doubtful that they would miss these problems being reported (high ram, cpu, services failing, etc...).

I would suggest you temporarily uninstall and wait until the problem has been fully resolved. 

Interesting... an entity hacks malwarebytes effectively forcing millions of users to disable it, then the entity pushes out malware to the (now unprotected) machines... hmmmm

I was in the middle of taking an on-line technical exam for a job application and my machine bombed.  Was using over 5 Gigs of memory (out of 8 available) for the Malware service.  Thought my machine had died!

Edited by JoeT1

1 minute ago, aqw409 said:

Well after ending the task like 50 times in task manager it seems to have stopped going up. Going to give it a minute to start again but I ain't touching MB so it won't restart itself. 

Sitting at 79 MB of usage. Not going up. I'm not saying its fixed I'm saying it probably bugged itself out.

2 minutes ago, petersondm said:

I am not able to disable Malware! It keeps restarting and using up memory and locking up my system.

It's like Hillary Clinton.  It keeps coming back!

For those that may need a script to push out (admin rights required). Copy and paste into notepad and save as "killmbam.bat"

@echo off
sc stop mbamservice
sc config mbamservice start= disabled
taskkill /f /im mbamservice

To reactivate, copy and paste into notepad and save as "enablembam.bat"

@echo off
sc config mbamservice start= active
sc start mbamservice

2 minutes ago, matt_mahi said:

Happening to me too. I can't disable it in Services either. It kills the process, gives an error message saying it can't stop the service because it terminated unexpectedly. Then it starts up again :(

Keep trying. It took half a dozen or so tries before I finally got the misbegotten thing to stop.

Thought I was hacked for sure. I can't turn it off, can't kill it, it just restarts itself, task manager stop services, end task stops it for 30 seconds, comes right back on, had no choice but to uninstall it, hope it doesn't mess up license. GL everybody, never seen MWB do this in my 8-10 year run with it, hope it's a one off.

5 minutes ago, Tenpenny said:

Your last line. And you have the hide to call people idiots!!

wolves... hide... I see what you did there.. :)  nice.

OK, so I'm sitting here in my little sandbox, hoping that it's enough to deal with any nasties that are around, but I run forums and facebook pages as a job and I can't exactly go clicking links, can I?

This is going on way too long now.  Just push through yesterday's update and tell us all how we're meant to run it without crashing our computers.

Just started getting the problem here. Malwarebytes service executable consuming all my RAM in a minute or so and making the system unusable.

This is why we should have more than one anti-virus product installed.  I just uninstalled MB3 and will await news of fix.  Thanks Rubberducky.

2 minutes ago, LadyFitzgerald said:

That didn't work. the stupid thing keeps working.

Disable service, also on recovery tab check from drop down menu everything to off (first failure etc.)

Kill MBAM service in task manager, then restart computer.