RubbeR DuckY

IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage Issue

I don't see people flocking to the forums every other day of the year when this program works flawlessly. Don't let 1 bad day overshadow the countless good days.  

Just now, AzKat said:

How are people supposed to read this if all web traffic is blocked?

Presumably the people who are here are either using a different machine that doesn't have MB installed or have turned it off or uninstalled it.  I've killed the processes and am checking in case it turns itself back on.

Wow people are idiots. Never seen such nasty comments. Yes its an annoying bug thats messing with our ram. But all you need to do is quit MBAM and disable it in SERVICES for now. Its not like they pushed the update out on purpose people! At least they are working on a solution. All this "I'm gonna sue!" and "I'm permanently uninstalling!" and "Can't trust them!" are some of the most idiotic comments I've heard! If it were my company and people treated me like this over an accidental glitch in an udpate I'd be saying "Forget you guys then for being impatient wolves! I'm not fixing it!". 

Using V2 and having Web blocking switched off is how I am here. I left Real Time protection on as its working fine. 

Good luck with v3. 

Edited by mbates14

Just now, Salamoney said:

I don't see people flocking to the forums every other day of the year when this program works flawlessly. Don't let 1 bad day overshadow the countless good days.  

Thats just the way it is.

A censored up so bad that's its causing PC's to crash etc is pretty ridiculous. 

Just now, TomSummers said:

im just being a daredevil and using windows defender until something is fixed 

So you're basically staying in the same boat as no protection.  <shrugs>

1 minute ago, Salamoney said:

Well they actually do. It's called paying for a subscriptions.

2 minutes ago, LadyFitzgerald said:

How the big fat hairy heck do I shut off Malwarebytes? I hit the Quit button but the blasted thing keeps coming back on it's own; the antimalware program has become malware!  I also had automatic updates shut off but the stupid program must have turned them back on. Malwarebytes has been having problems with updates since version 2 came out. Hire some competent software engineers!

Go in through Ctrl+Alt+Del and suspend the tasks or use ProcessExplorer and kill the processes.  It's worked with mine so far (crosses fingers).

Knocked out my E-911 Center and deputies computers on patrol with this crap. Your products are used by a variety of companies. Putting people’s lives at risk is an understatement when you release a crap version. 

Just now, x1a1x said:

So you're basically staying in the same boat as no protection.  <shrugs>

i mean yes, but im not stupid enough to click on malicious links or go onto dodgy websites 

55 minutes ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

All,

We're aware of an issue with a protection update that shipped an hour ago that is causing all web traffic to be blocked and RAM usage to climb. We are triaging this right now with all hands on deck. I will have an update shortly with root cause and will share with all of you as I get information.

I completely appreciate the pain this is causing our users and we are working hard to resolve this.

At least the dominatrix bot appreciates the pain.......

3 minutes ago, alvinek said:

Post a way to turn it off while we waiting for update!!

https://i.imgur.com/IEmqZyP.png

Simple. Go to Administrative Tools>Component Services, locate Malwarebytes Service, enter Properties and on the Recovery tab change First and Second and Subsequent Failures to "Take No Action". Stop the service  (Malwarebytes Service) and then "End Process" in Task Manager.

Note that you will reverse the above in Component Services once a working update is released and installed.

Jim

6 minutes ago, alvinek said:

Post a way to turn it off while we waiting for update!!

https://i.imgur.com/IEmqZyP.png

Click Search and type Services.

Find Malwarebytes, double-click it and change the service to disabled and click Apply. You can *try* to stop the service, but I found this simply errors out.

Try killing process in task manager.

Another option is to open a command prompt as Administrator or Command Prompt (Administrator) depending on your version of windows.

Type taskkill /f /im mbamservice.exe and see if that kills the process.

I just uninstalled Malwarebytes - it was crashing my computer. And I cancelled my next renewal.  Totally wasted several hours of my Saturday trying to figure this out. Rolling back is too annoying since I'll be pestered constantly to update. Seriously, I have enough trouble dealing with Windows 10 updates.   Maybe I'll reinstall it, maybe I won't.  Researching alternatives now. 

Just now, xfreakazoidx said:

Wow people are idiots. Never seen such nasty comments. Yes its an annoying bug thats messing with our ram. But all you need to do is quit MBAM and disable it in SERVICES for now. Its not like they pushed the update out on purpose people! At least they are working on a solution. All this "I'm gonna sue!" and "I'm permanently uninstalling!" and "Can't trust them!" are some of the most idiotic comments I've heard! If it were my company and people treated me like this over an accidental glitch in an udpate I'd be saying "Forget you guys then for being impatient wolves! I'm not fixing it!". 

What is causing the negativity is that this update even MADE IT TO LIVE.  The problem happens so very fast that even a minimum of QA would have picked it up. Even just running it with the Task Manager open makes the problem patently obvious!  

1 minute ago, xfreakazoidx said:

Gotta remember that not everyone is tech savvy enough to know how to disable services etc... I think people have the right to be pissed that a bit of security software has gone rouge and started crashing their machines. These things should be tested in a sandbox environments before being pushed to millions of users. Malwarebytes deserve this backlash because it's downright unacceptable. I'm not gonna stop using them but people have the right to express how they're feeling...

2 minutes ago, xfreakazoidx said:

Your last line. And you have the hide to call people idiots!!

9 minutes ago, JRF99 said:

Don't uninstall. Best fix is to disable the program in services. Start/run/services.msc: then find Malwarebytes, right click, properties, disable, OK.

That didn't work. The stupid program keeps coming back.

Edited by LadyFitzgerald