IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage Issue

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah well, at least for me it wasn't as bad as the time an AVG Free update caused millions of PCs to stop working completely by putting something from the OS into quarantine. 

Don't remember the year it happened but it did cause quite an uproar in the news.

Still, I hope MalwareBytes will fix this issue soon though.

Just now, Salamoney said:

If any of you think you can design a better anti-malware program, be my guest. Until then, stop complaining and let them do their job. It's naive to think mistakes don't happen.

This isn't about design, it's about QA. This update should never have been released to live.

Just now, Salamoney said:

If any of you think you can design a better anti-malware program, be my guest. Until then, stop complaining and let them do their job. It's naive to think mistakes don't happen.

this is what i was about to say

patience is the key. go do something else on other devices until it's fixed

The memory leak is likely caused by the software trying to create new copies of the socket object as it continually blocks itself. 

Such as in BASIC: 

Dim Socket1 as NEW Socket. = creates a new copy in RAM. 

this goes and goes and goes until there is no RAM left. 

if I am not mistaken, malwarebytes is written in VB.NET and that statement above is very applicable in this case. 

Edited by mbates14

1 minute ago, Salamoney said:

Nice strawman. Want to come over and re-do my multi-thousand line Excel sheet I was working on? Auto-save only reclaimed some of my work. Nice, right?

Dont get to hasty with the "OMG THIS IS stuff REMOVE AND NEVER COME BACK".

stuff happens in software development and yes this is a pretty bad issue.

Holy hell was I scared when my system repeatedly ran OOM. Seing Malwarebytes take up 16gb of memory in less than 20 minutes had me afraid my system had been compromised. G

Personally im really gald to see its just a bug in the sofftware. And, while MBAM Stays uninstalled for now until I have confirmation that the fix is out, I'll not doomsay on the product, since there never has been a better AV for me in the 9 years im professionally using computers. And have not encountered any of the bespoken "Multiple problems the last few months!"

This is the first ever Hiccup im having with MBAM.

Stay sharp dev team and lets all hope this will quickly be over with!

Edited by SonOfTheStars