RubbeR DuckY

IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage Issue

14 minutes ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

All,

We're aware of an issue with a protection update that shipped an hour ago that is causing all web traffic to be blocked and RAM usage to climb. We are triaging this right now with all hands on deck. I will have an update shortly with root cause and will share with all of you as I get information.

I completely appreciate the pain this is causing our users and we are working hard to resolve this.

The question is given this is a system-crashing problem why is your QA of updates so lax none of your pre-release testing caught it?

False positives are one thing, though when they hit Windows system files I struggle to find a defense for A/V vendors, but this is so demonstrably catastrophic to users' systems I had expected your QA not to let such rubbish out!

Edited by Kraggy

Why not simply push out the prior update/version as the current/next one until this problem is resolved. That way people can use their computers and you can work on the issue with less urgency?

Edited by Xertez

11 minutes ago, PuREv1L said:

take your time we are fine

Don't take your time. I have about 6 videos that need rendering before midnight and I cant while all my ram is being used up!

2 minutes ago, WhatIsGoingOn said:

Holy stuff. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I’m so distressed right now I don’t know what to do. I didn’t mean to do that to my mom but I’m literally in shock from the events tonight. I feel like I’m going to explode. Why the censoreding censored is Malwarebytes eating up my ram? This can’t be happening. I’m having a censoreding breakdown. I don’t want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Malwarebytes  to be fixed and protect my computer again. I cannot censoreding deal with this right now. It wasn’t supposed to be like this, I thought Malwarebytes wasn't having any issues with memory leaks??? This is so censoreded.

You need a therapist more than an antivirus package.

2 minutes ago, WhatIsGoingOn said:

Holy stuff. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I’m so distressed right now I don’t know what to do. I didn’t mean to do that to my mom but I’m literally in shock from the events tonight. I feel like I’m going to explode. Why the censoreding censored is Malwarebytes eating up my ram? This can’t be happening. I’m having a censoreding breakdown. I don’t want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Malwarebytes  to be fixed and protect my computer again. I cannot censoreding deal with this right now. It wasn’t supposed to be like this, I thought Malwarebytes wasn't having any issues with memory leaks??? This is so censoreded.

LMAO this made me snort out my coffee.

Just now, Kraggy said:

The question is given this is a system-crashing problem why is your QA of updates so lax none of your pre-release testing didn't catch it?

False positives are one thing, though when they hit Windows system files I struggle to find a defense for A/V vendors, but this is so demonstrably catastrophic to users' systems I had expected your QA not to let such rubbish out!

What QA? Malwarebytes doesn't do any QA, as clearly demonstrated here and in the past. The paying customers are the beta testers.

5 minutes ago, JimmySays said:

We have relied on Malwarebytes for years and we will continue to be a loyal customer. I have been a professional IT Consultant for over 20 years and like most professionals in the industry I have come to appreciate the stability and reliability of Malwarebytes. It is the go to tool for many professionals. I can testify that Malwarebytes has protected my clients corporate systems from malicious attacks that would have crippled their ability to work. Ransomware has been rampant for a few years now - Malwarebytes was the only product during the first outbreaks of Ransomware that stopped the attacks. Other clients were running main stream Anti-Virus Security Suites - these did not stop the Ransomware from getting through. Complete systems were destroyed and had to be restored from backups.

So - while this is a serious blunder. We don't want to loose site of all of the things Malwarebytes has done for our industry.

With that said...PLEASE FIX THIS QUICKLY

This^

1 minute ago, Horonelius said:

Was attempting to play online with some friends, couldn't figure out what the hell was going on, or why I kept crashing. At first I figured it was just Windows 10 being Windows 10, or my video card driver crapping out, but after noticing that MB had seemingly forgotten that I had a subscription, I realized that this was the problem.

Hehe, something similar here. I was playing Elder Scrolls Online and noticed regular lags, stuttering graphics and the like. Noticed MBAM using 25% CPU load, figured it might be doing a scan in the background, then saw the memory usage.

Note that the service is configured to auto-restart in terms of unintended termination, so you need to turn that off on the "Recovery" tab of the service settings if you wish to disable the service as a temporary fix.

1 minute ago, Furiant said:

You need a therapist more than an antivirus package.

It's a "tendies" sh**post. Best practice is to never respond to it.

2 minutes ago, CW1990 said:

LMAO this made me snort out my coffee.

Yep. Needed a good laugh! But as I always say, DONT feed the troll!

Maybe consider closing the thread I get the outrage but there are enough threads so maybe limit this one to actual information.

3 minutes ago, WhatIsGoingOn said:

Bwahahaha reeeee MAGA!

But seriously though, this issue totally crippled my machine. Kept losing my work, ended up force uninstalling Malwarebytes. I'm out, trust is now lost. I understand software is hard, but this is an insane error for a company requiring a monthly revenue drip.

Goodbye Malwarebytes. 

Those pesky Russians.....

Even when it's normally running a scan in the background the hit comes nowhere close to this bad.

Edited by Ryan66

6 minutes ago, WhatIsGoingOn said:

LOL this is awesome

Edited by schizoid77

Of my PCs only one was on and received the update. Was able to reboot and uninstall MB. Computer is working fine now. I can forgive one screwup. Reinstallation and activation key could become and issue

More than anything as a paying customer i want to know how this got past any kind of testing, i am quite honestly debating whether i should request a refund for the premium i bought a few weeks ago. If nothing else i think giving the people that are interested refunds with no hassle is the least you can do after this blunder.

Just now, hbaker002 said:

Of my PCs only one was on and received the update. Was able to reboot and uninstall MB. Computer is working fine now. I can forgive one screwup. Reinstallation and activation key could become and issue

Luckily I was able to capture my activation key before I uninstalled.