RubbeR DuckY

IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage Issue

I've been a premium member for a couple of years and this is your first major screw up. As long as you haven't been bought out by Kaspersky I guess we're still good. But this HAS BEEN a major pain in the butt, so I will be expecting LOTS of Malwarebytes logo swag (cups, mugs, golf umbrellas, stickers, etc) as well as a company vehicle and a one year free extension on my pay service. Email me for mailing address. Thanks.

i know that ranting is unecessary, but it's understandable.

YOU, PLEASE, UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE USE THEIR COMPUTERS TO WORK, REAL JOBS, IN 2018 

leaving your PAYING CUSTOMERS like that is simply UNACCEPTABLE for a company.

26 minutes ago, SonOfTheStars said:

Things like this happen. other AV software had issues to. People need to stop being so infuriated. Just disable/uninstall it,  wait until a fix is out that sets MBAM back to a working normal state, get yourself a cup of Tea/Cof and chill out.

There is no need for threats of "You put peoples life in danger" "your product is stuff" or "i want compensation for my company losing money". If sherrifs cant work without a computer and company IT services cant handle an issue like this then i dont wanna live in your state/work for your company... 

Yeah, because it's not like modern companies and government agencies rely on technology at all, right? It's totally fine when these services are crippled from something that's as easily detected as a memory leak. Stop being a sycophantic simpleton.

27 minutes ago, John L. Galt said:

Better to ignore them than to try to get into a protracted argument with them.  Trust me.

Yeah, always a good idea to ignore paying customers who are upset with a company's monumental screw up.

phew I though my pc was hit by spectre meltdown was just trying to play fallout 4 even reinstalled premium quick fix for everyone right click on the malwarebytes tray icon and disable all services till the new update is shipped

snap_screen_20180127140252.png

1 minute ago, Phone Man said:

I got update 1.0.3803.

Quite MB and check Task Manager and MBAM process was gone.

Started MB and it is working fine.

Worked for me too. Using only 207 MB RAM now. System at 15%. Web Protection back on.

This seems to be working better.  Did an uninstall and then a reinstall.  Ran a full scan with memory use around 700 MB out of 8 Gig.  CPU use for Malwarebytes Service was bouncing all over the place between 20% - 90%.  

Version.PNG.91bc6a001e413f420221c4c2dd028a07.PNG

After scan completed memory use went down to 225 MB and CPU is settled to nearly 0%.  So this is looking pretty good to me.

Edited by JoeT1
more updates

1 hour ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

All,

We're aware of an issue with a protection update that shipped an hour ago that is causing all web traffic to be blocked and RAM usage to climb. We are triaging this right now with all hands on deck. I will have an update shortly with root cause and will share with all of you as I get information.

I completely appreciate the pain this is causing our users and we are working hard to resolve this.

Thank you Marcin. I am sure your team will fix this as you always do but it is very concerning to me that this got past QC. Thank goodness it is a weekend and I only have a few users working right now. Having just spent a lot of money on a 75 user license for your latest corporate product I would really like reassurance that you test your updates before releasing them. 

Just d/l same version I had, I think -- 3.3.1.2183 ... and update 1.0.3803 (don't know if that's new or not)  but it appears to be working -- and it has my premium info there so maybe it's fixed?  I don't know what the last update was as I couldn't up mbytes to check.

Dont need to uninstall, just close the process. I had left the computer open today for some hours. It had worked fine this morning/midday, but then when I returned this evening the mbam process was above 10GB, so my system was sluggish as hell and web protection was off. Close the mbam process and everything worked fine. Restarted the computer and mbam process was low in memory, but when trying to start other programs windows reported they could due to an error. And web protection was suddenly off again. So I closed mbam and now those programs will open fine again. Going to close mbam until news of a working update arrives.

Edited by jayman1000

Are there really that many kids in this forum? With all the whiny replies I can't find the official ones, if there are any as of now. Every other comment is about hating MB and the world going under. Wish this thread is locked and stickied so serious users can follow the progress of the fix easier.

3 minutes ago, Pawl13 said:

Jesus dude I've seen you on two threads here already this morning treating other people poorly. Chill out and show some kindness. This is not a big issue in the grand scheme of things, but it's okay if people act a little frustrated.

Hmm... maybe for you and me but for the "appliance operators" (aka parents, newbies, non geeks) this is catastrophic as their computers crash and they have no clue what to do except to reboot and go though it again, I had 2 computers at my home die. I did some detective work, determined that MWB was the culprit then disabled the app of my wife's computer and on mine then did some web look-ups. I then started to receive calls from friends and family asking me if I knew what was going on.

IMHO, this was a VERY BAD release and for the amount of postings I read, there must be thousands more who are clueless.

This bug absolutely wrecked my parents' computer. They are non-technical adults who could not debug a problem like this on their own. Fortunately, I was visiting and able to address the issue for them.

I cannot risk a recurrence of this issue when I am out of town. For all intents and purposes, my parents' computer would be completely disabled. This is PRECISELY the type of event I bought Malwarebytes to avoid. As a professional software engineer, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the apparent lack of testing and QA that enabled this defective launch. I am cancelling my parents' subscription and it will never be renewed. Malwarebytes has lost 3 customers forever.

1 minute ago, AlexKwakIT said:

IF is it fixed, why not an official statement from MB?

Probably because they aren't 100% confident, which is...concerning at best. Hope they weren't hacked. We may never know the actual truth.

Managed to resolve mine. Used the mb-clean-3.1.0.1031.exe and uninstalled the application, rebooted and downloaded and reinstalled, all previous problems gone. 

Maybe if they give me a massage, do my taxes and send me a bottle of wine and some expensive chocolate I'll forgive them.  Oh...and I want a pony. 

1 minute ago, sysopa said:

Update 1.0.3803 seems to work. Not eating memory anymore.

Not working properly still, web protection is still being turned off.

21 minutes ago, SonOfTheStars said:

People who claim "Malwarebytes does not test their product" are simply wrong. They do, both Automated and User tests.

What you dont understand is that Memory Leaks like this one are hard to find in automated and even the usually rather short paced user tests. Memory Leaks are a problem that for a reason mostly only ever gets caught by consumers. because they are often conditional and hard to spot until you actively run analysis on your system memory usage.

Non constructive criticism wil be ignored and if you want to go somewhere else, just pack your stuff and leave without the rant. Ranting just wastes everyones time including your own.

Really? Because after restarting my computer, it took less than 10 minutes for the RAM usage to climb to 50% with 16gb of RAM installed. That's too much time for a test to be conducted? Give me a break.

1 minute ago, BuckyBadger said:

This bug absolutely wrecked my parents' computer. They are non-technical adults who could not debug a problem like this on their own. Fortunately, I was visiting and able to address the issue for them.

I cannot risk a recurrence of this issue when I am out of town. For all intents and purposes, my parents' computer would be completely disabled. This is PRECISELY the type of event I bought Malwarebytes to avoid. As a professional software engineer, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the apparent lack of testing and QA that enabled this defective launch. I am cancelling my parents' subscription and it will never be renewed. Malwarebytes has lost 3 customers forever.

I'm 2,000 miles away from my elderly mom. Her computer is toast. Remoting in doesn't work. My option is to fly there and fix it or just shrug and have her be without.

Quite a predicament for a Saturday morning. Lots of fun for sure.