IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage Issue

1 minute ago, SomervilleTom said:

You don't need to uninstall. Go to the services app (I only know how to do it on windows 7 ... "control panel -> Administrative tools -> services"). Find "Malwarebytes service", and set its "Startup Type" to be "disabled". Then restart your system.

No thanks.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, JimmySays said:

Is anyone checking their firewall logs? I am seeing attacks on 1723 and 3389 from Malicious IP. Currently Malwarebytes Web Block (though malfunctioning) is able to identify and block these incoming attacks. The majority of the attacks I am seeing are coming from hosted service networks. According to the firewall logs and server logs these attacks started around the same time as the Malware update botch. Curious if anyone else is seeing an increase this type of traffic from other sources - this could just be a coincidence. 

I am cautious not to disable any features in Malwarebytes for fear that something malicious gets through. Last thing I want to do is suspend Malwarebytes only to find that a coordinated attack was launched which Malwarebytes would have prevented - and spend my weekend restoring compromised servers from backups.

Not sure.  I use NetLimiter 4, and BitDefender on my PC too.  NetLimiter does all the heavy IP monitoring/blocking for me so having Malwarebytes in a down state isn't really that big an issue for me at the moment.  

1 minute ago, Bugsy21 said:

Same here. Just uninstalled it from my and my wife's laptops.

After trusting MWB for years, this comes as a shock and disappointment.

You said it yourself. Years of protection without issue. Why would 1 bad day make you forget about the years of protection? People are on here complaining as if it is going to speed up a fix. I'm sure everyone at Malwarebytes is well aware of the issue. If you are going to cancel your subscription, then go and be done with it. Nobody wants to see your little rebellions. 

Uninstalled MWB Premium, upgraded my Avast and will leave it that way until MWB fixes the issue. If there's no reasonable response from them, I won't renew my premium membership when it comes due in June and instead add Avast modules to compensate. I've NEVER had any issues with Avast.

HFS.  At least I'm not alone. 

Guess I do without protection for a while.

The password setting procedure to registerfor the forum was so wonky I'm convinced it's been pwned, and is stealing the 'very strong' passwords new registrants are attempting to set.  Whoever is doing that is creating a nice data base for later use.

And that suggests that MB's systems are pwned, and the update could have been poisoned after test, before or during test.

Has any one left sensitive position at MB recently?

2 minutes ago, JohnBurns said:

I thought they had finally got the act together - I guess not.  Just uninstalled MBAM with 3 lifetime licenses - probably not coming back.  I can screw up my pc's enough on my own without help from MBAM.  Thanks, for making me sure about uninstalling this, for good this time.

Can i have your lifetime licences then please? :)

1 minute ago, ZackZero said:

Hate to say it, but not all cases seem to be like yours.  I'm already up to nearly 20% of total RAM used again.

on my 2 win10 machines it seems working, had to kill the malwarebytes service task to refresh the memory usage

5 minutes ago, PillowTron3000 said:

well if this f**ed up update causes your PC to run on 100% RAM,CPU AND Harddisk Usage so you can litterally dont even move the mouse (happened on an older laptop of mine)  then its nearly impossible to even try to disable the service, cause you will never get there.

It's called: Booting up in "safe-mode"

5 minutes ago, JasonITgod said:

I changed malwarebytes service from automatic to disabled and stopped the service. The PC is now functioning normally. I’ll change it back after they fix the update. 

Yup, same here.

Oh cool, I have to start the service to allow the main application to update.  That's wonderful.  It'll be a race to see if I can get it open before the service eats every byte I own.

They should maybe consider just throwing up a dialog about not being able to connect to the service and then let we mere mortals go ahead and use the update from the interface.  Instead, they halt the interface if the service it off.

Having the same problem.

noticed MWB 3.3.1 (mb3-setup-consumer-3.1.2.1733 or newer) web protection disabled, could not contact license server.  Computer was slowing down so looked in Task Manager and found MWB quickly using up all my ram, so ended task.

Downloaded and installed latest version: mb3-setup-consumer-3.3.1.2183-1.0.262-1.0.3791 and installed it, rebooted

same problem, took snips as ram usage increased (and attached them) until usage was 75%, then killed it. 

As the ram usage went up, MWB reported web protection turned off, then "We're sorry, but the Malwarebytes service stopped working.  The program will now restart".  Clicked ok and it started again with about 550MB of ram and started climbing again, so ended the task again

Looked in forums and found others with same issue.  Downloaded and ran FRST, attached mb-check zip file

Please fix as soon as possible.

Thanks.

mb-check-results.zip

1.JPG

10.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

6 minutes ago, TempLost said:

Probably someone else has already suggested it, but opening Malwarebytes, turning off Start with Windows and rebooting let's you get on with your life until a solution is released - easier than uninstalling. 

I couldn't get this far.  The program wouldn't let me do anything on my computer.  I couldn't open Mbytes at all.  It wouldn't let me operate my pc to do anything.

2 minutes ago, aqw409 said:

Reading all these replies is kinda funny to see how many people don't know the basics or even how to turn something off that is annoying. (Windows updates for instance) 

Not necessarily, In current versions of Win 10, they removed the ability to disable the windows update's from the Updates & Security settings without disabling the service, I had to go and make a few GP edits to kill the thing and blocked the windows update servers via host file. 

2 minutes ago, CoxGreen said:

Just downloaded database update V12 and it seems to be working!!!!!!

This may be so but just to be sure I am going to sleep on it for now as it's 6am I spent most of the last 3 hours screwing around wondering what was causing MWB to eat so much memory only to find it was nothing I did after I found this forum, so I simply went and re-applied my overclocks & TCP/IP v4 changes.