IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage Issue

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you still want malwarebytes protection through this mess, just uninstall V3. 

Install V2, Do NOT update the definitions until AFTER activation. 

Once activated, Turn off Website Blocking and then do the updates. 

you will at least have real time protection. Thats how I am using it right now. 

You don't need to uninstall the program, just shut it down. At the right end of the taskbar near the clock find malwarebytes icon, usually you have to left click the up arrow. Right click on the icon and select Quit Malwarebytes (or something similar, I have already shut it down). This will not uninstall the program, so after the next restart repeat the steps unless the problem is solved.

2 minutes ago, PhoenixDragon said:

The current running theory on Reddit and by some here is they have been hacked.  It is questionable.  The staff has acknowledged there is a problem with the latest program update, but they have not addressed why their activation servers are offline too.  Further, I do believe Malwarebytes does test things before releasing updates and it would seem doubtful that they would miss these problems being reported (high ram, cpu, services failing, etc...).

I would suggest you temporarily uninstall and wait until the problem has been fully resolved. 

Activation sever: my theory is they've DDOSd themselves. Processes restart and I guess try and contact the activation server....... so now millions of PCs are hitting the activation server repeatedly.

I was just starting to think I did something after installing ProcessLasso & disabled services, applied registry fixes for TC/IP & ran TCP optimizer shortly before making a small overclock, causing MWB too chew memory & fail to reach the licence server.  I just uninstalled it for now. Don't know how this happened through this program has always been well behaved up until now.

3 minutes ago, PhoenixDragon said:

The current running theory on Reddit and by some here is they have been hacked.  It is questionable.  The staff has acknowledged there is a problem with the latest program update, but they have not addressed why their activation servers are offline too.  Further, I do believe Malwarebytes does test things before releasing updates and it would seem doubtful that they would miss these problems being reported (high ram, cpu, services failing, etc...).

I would suggest you temporarily uninstall and wait until the problem has been fully resolved. 

Interesting... an entity hacks malwarebytes effectively forcing millions of users to disable it, then the entity pushes out malware to the (now unprotected) machines... hmmmm

1 minute ago, aqw409 said:

Well after ending the task like 50 times in task manager it seems to have stopped going up. Going to give it a minute to start again but I ain't touching MB so it won't restart itself. 

Sitting at 79 MB of usage. Not going up. I'm not saying its fixed I'm saying it probably bugged itself out.

For those that may need a script to push out (admin rights required). Copy and paste into notepad and save as "killmbam.bat"

@echo off
sc stop mbamservice
sc config mbamservice start= disabled
taskkill /f /im mbamservice

To reactivate, copy and paste into notepad and save as "enablembam.bat"

@echo off
sc config mbamservice start= active
sc start mbamservice

2 minutes ago, matt_mahi said:

Happening to me too. I can't disable it in Services either. It kills the process, gives an error message saying it can't stop the service because it terminated unexpectedly. Then it starts up again :(

Keep trying. It took half a dozen or so tries before I finally got the misbegotten thing to stop.

Thought I was hacked for sure. I can't turn it off, can't kill it, it just restarts itself, task manager stop services, end task stops it for 30 seconds, comes right back on, had no choice but to uninstall it, hope it doesn't mess up license. GL everybody, never seen MWB do this in my 8-10 year run with it, hope it's a one off.

OK, so I'm sitting here in my little sandbox, hoping that it's enough to deal with any nasties that are around, but I run forums and facebook pages as a job and I can't exactly go clicking links, can I?

This is going on way too long now.  Just push through yesterday's update and tell us all how we're meant to run it without crashing our computers.

Thanks for the heads up, Marcin.

I was going to make a report of this after I woke up to an unresponsive system, but I'll just keep checking for updates.

Quitting out of MB 3 fixes the problem enough to allow me to run it again and watch the RAM usage climb, but still have a responsive system for over 10 minutes, so I'll continue to check for updates.