IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage Issue

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I learned anything from this, its that a major software vendor does not test their updates in a test environment. That scares me because I rely on them for security... if they can let something as obvious as a memleak get pushed to their deployment branch then we've got issues. You guys might think I'm overreacting, but I need confidence in the software that I rely on for security. They have definitely lost me as a customer.

9 minutes ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

All,

We're aware of an issue with a protection update that shipped an hour ago that is causing all web traffic to be blocked and RAM usage to climb. We are triaging this right now with all hands on deck. I will have an update shortly with root cause and will share with all of you as I get information.

I completely appreciate the pain this is causing our users and we are working hard to resolve this.

Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, PuREv1L said:

take your time we are fine

Yeah. Just can't use our computers anymore, it's okay.

Can't explain this with words, can't understand how they can push this update to their paying users and think it is fine with just a fix.

Edited by Karantan

2 minutes ago, evsknight said:

While I appreciate mistakes happen, sending this update out is a pretty huge screw up.  How did it get past test?

I was wondering the same thing. Who pushed this without testing first, and/or why or how did it make it past the tests?

Something's pretty broken on their end. Will be looking for specific details in the PR releases.

This is going to get eaten up by Reddit either way.

We have relied on Malwarebytes for years and we will continue to be a loyal customer. I have been a professional IT Consultant for over 20 years and like most professionals in the industry I have come to appreciate the stability and reliability of Malwarebytes. It is the go to tool for many professionals. I can testify that Malwarebytes has protected my clients corporate systems from malicious attacks that would have crippled their ability to work. Ransomware has been rampant for a few years now - Malwarebytes was the only product during the first outbreaks of Ransomware that stopped the attacks. Other clients were running main stream Anti-Virus Security Suites - these did not stop the Ransomware from getting through. Complete systems were destroyed and had to be restored from backups.

So - while this is a serious blunder. We don't want to loose site of all of the things Malwarebytes has done for our industry.

With that said...PLEASE FIX THIS QUICKLY

Holy stuff. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I’m so distressed right now I don’t know what to do. I didn’t mean to do that to my mom but I’m literally in shock from the events tonight. I feel like I’m going to explode. Why the censoreding censored is Malwarebytes eating up my ram? This can’t be happening. I’m having a censoreding breakdown. I don’t want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Malwarebytes  to be fixed and protect my computer again. I cannot censoreding deal with this right now. It wasn’t supposed to be like this, I thought Malwarebytes wasn't having any issues with memory leaks??? This is so censoreded.

Just now, domem said:

If I learned anything from this, its that a major software vendor does not test their updates in a test environment. That scares me because I rely on them for security... if they can let something as obvious as a memleak get pushed to their deployment branch then we've got issues. You guys might think I'm overreacting, but I need confidence in the software that I rely on for security. They have definitely lost me as a customer.

Yep. ^^THIS^^ 

It took less than 5 minutes after 11 AM EST for my computer to crash.  Wouldn't have taken much to QA THIS mess!!

Even if there will be hope to resolve this, the damage as already been done... to our machines, and our minds.

I have MBAM uninstalled for the time being, and will bring it back when I get the all-clear even of using Premium again without any problems. Thank you for this, RubbeR DuckY. We rely on you.

2 minutes ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

One last note: turning off Web Protection temporarily is an interim solution.

Team has identified issue, I will update everyone shortly.

explain to us how a memory leak update was not tested in a test environment before being pushed to a deployment branch. 

Edited by domem

1 minute ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

One last note: turning off Web Protection temporarily is an interim solution.

Team has identified issue, I will update everyone shortly.

no, a rollback would be an interim solution. Your solution is more than bad, not only that everyone has no protection now, the software eats ALL RAM. So for me the only way was to remove the software from the system.

Was attempting to play online with some friends, couldn't figure out what the hell was going on, or why I kept crashing. At first I figured it was just Windows 10 being Windows 10, or my video card driver crapping out, but after noticing that MB had seemingly forgotten that I had a subscription, I realized that this was the problem.