Malwarebytes

RAM usage - what is going on?

plnelson suggestion of updating and rebooting appears to have solved the problem for me. Reboot was slower than normal with heavy disk usage but eventually finished and system appears to be back to normal.

1 hour ago, plnelson said:

That's not necessary -  it's too drastic.   Just disable it in Services.   Boot into safe mode if you have to to do this - I did because my PC was so wedged I couldn't get into serviced from a normal boot with this bug.

I did disable the service first, which had no effect. Sorry but I'll be waiting this one out.

Of course I'll re-install once they update but for now I'll be depending on other protection I have installed.

Same thing. With a lot of effort I deinstalled MB and the PC is working fine.  I have it installed on two other computers and will wait until this problem is solved to boot them up. MB needs to broadcast an email msg when this resolved.

1 minute ago, Joa said:

I did disable the service first, which had no effect. Sorry but I'll be waiting this one out.

Of course I'll re-install once they update but for now I'll be depending on other protection I have installed.

I have updated 2 computers so far. They both had the service "MBAMservice" disabled till the current update became available. Force updates via the MWB Gui and then restarted the service "MBAMservice" issue resolved.

9 minutes ago, johnnyzero said:

The 3803 update does appear to fix the runaway RAM/resource usage issue, but it DOES NOT fix the issue with Web Protection being disabled.

Anybody else experiencing this?

roboot.  it worked for me. had same problem.

@caamt13Just start MWB again -> update via GUI -> restart service.

If for whatever reason the process is still running in Taskmanager while restarting the service -> kill process and start service via Services

Edited by CaptainLeonidas

Still no auto-update on the faulty software for me. Have killed the service but wish for a link to manual update as I do NOT want to turn the program on and have it eat 24gb ram again. NOT fun.

1 minute ago, jeebus said:

roboot.  it worked for me. had same problem.

After updating to 3803, I've tried stopping/restarting MBAM service numerous times, and done numerous reboots. STILL can't enable Web Protection.

I'm gonna try MBClean + re-install and see if that fixes it.

Same problem here.  Used up all my laptop's memory and real-time protection won't stay on.  At least I now know that this wasn't something I might have done when I booted up this morning.

This affects MBAM 3.31 eating up 5.5GB (and web protection disabled) on an 8GB machine and causing the laptop to stop responding. Couldn't even get into safe mode. Had to rebuild PC and MBAM started it up again. Could not run suggested diagnostics, FRST64 aborted with a screen error.
Finally uninstalled 3.31 and installed 2.21 which is running OK except it keeps nagging me to update to 3.31.
Have spend DAYS on this issue, my wife is furious :-((. 
WTF is happening, MBAM used to be great (until 'new and improved' v3 reared its ugly head)??
Could we PLEASE have some comments from developers and TURN OFF THE BOTS!!

8 minutes ago, Phobos_Anomaly said:

Yeah, I'll wait for an updated installer as well.

You don't have to wait for an updated installer. The installer on the website wont have the issue. When it updates it will update straight to 3803 which doesn't have the issue.

Edited by shadowwar

Same problem here. Computer completely froze. I couldn't get Task Manager to come up, and I couldn't even turn off the computer. Had to unplug it and start again. Twice! This was the result of Malwarebytes' supposed wonderful update. Now, I've read on "Bleeping Computer" that there's another update that's supposed to solve the problem. We are told to download the update (again). This is not the first time Malwarebytes has caused more problems than it solves. I don't see any guarantees that this works. I've uninstalled my Premium and am awaiting more information.

Has the update fixed the memory leak and real time protection issue for Win 7?

Have to admit I was quite worried my computer had been infected, which would be odd since I use it for gaming and all of the games I buy are from steam, origin or battle net, the only downloads I do from the web are for malwarebytes and ESET NOD32.

2 minutes ago, BjornB said:

This affects MBAM 3.31 eating up 5.5GB (and web protection disabled) on an 8GB machine and causing the laptop to stop responding. Couldn't even get into safe mode. Had to rebuild PC and MBAM started it up again. Could not run suggested diagnostics, FRST64 aborted with a screen error.
Finally uninstalled 3.31 and installed 2.21 which is running OK except it keeps nagging me to update to 3.31.
Have spend DAYS on this issue, my wife is furious :-((. 
WTF is happening, MBAM used to be great (until 'new and improved' v3 reared its ugly head)??
Could we PLEASE have some comments from developers and TURN OFF THE BOTS!!

In all fairness to Malwarebytes Since you said you have spent "days" on this sounds like you have other issues....This started late last night from the earliest report I read and most today I have Malwarebytes lifetime on 6 pc's and all started having issues today.

Just now, mangochutney said:

The way MB can take down any system in this way is the DEFINITION OF MALWARE ITSELF!

Confused? I am.

Re-write your code.

You seem to be a smart cookie so give MB some help with their code!

Nice the fix worked. Maybe next time before releasing updates, you guys might actually wanna test  it on some machines.

Edited by CortexVacua

Just now, Sitedrifter said:

You seem to be a smart cookie so give MB some help with their code!

You can defend all you want, this is a really bad problem to have caused.