Malwarebytes

RAM usage - what is going on?

Just now, Brcobrem said:

I gave you all an easy workaround in Post# 400 on Pg16. Here it is again embelished:

Workaround until fix released:
1. Right Click MWB icon in Windows System Tray (ie. where clock is> and Exit it.
2. Then go into <Windows> Action Center (in Control panel and), Security, dropdown both Virus Protection and also Spyware, click the blue View link, select/change to Windows Defender for both.

Much simpler to open MalwareBytes. Go to Settings along the left. Go to second tab: Protection. Scroll down to Start up options. Turn off the first one that starts MalwareBytes upon startup. Reboot.

Same issue here, climbed well over 10gb RAM usage before I noticed. Assumed it was my issue, used official tool to remove and reinstall, ended up in licensing hell for 2 hours trying to revalidate my lifetime license. Finally works, same issue applies. Web Protection shuts off, RAM climbs. Is MBAM under attack?

2 minutes ago, banzaigtv said:

My Kaspersky Total Security is doing both now.

so you mean this is prob is coming from windows os?

7 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Terminating doesn't work -- It keeps coming back.  I uninstalled MB3.  Other previously installed anti-virus will keep me safe for now.

Don't uninstall. Open MalwareBytes. Go to Settings along the left. Go to second tab: Protection. Scroll down to Start up options. Turn off the first one that starts MalwareBytes upon startup. Reboot.

1 minute ago, DonWiss said:

Much simpler to open MalwareBytes. Go to Settings along the left. Go to second tab: Protection. Scroll down to Start up options. Turn off the first one that starts MalwareBytes upon startup. Reboot.

Simpler yet uninstall and don't look back!

Just shutdown MBAM until the problem is fixed. Open services.msc from a run box or Command Prompt. Stop then Disable Malwarebytes Service. That's all it takes.

Just had this issue freeze my computer twice before I opened up my Resource Monitor and saw mbam hogging all my memory and slowly climbing up to 10gb out of my 16 and kept going.  Closed out of it twice and it kept coming back so I had to uninstall it.  Not sure what is going on but until this issue is fixed I'm relying on MSE.  Just sucks that I can't use a product I paid for cause its crashing my system. 

After Microsoft updated it said welcome to Fall Creators Update. I already had that update, on top of having to reinstall Malwarebytes it deleted my Homegrpoup. After reinstalling Malwarebytes it was tanking the computer by eating all the memory resources same as everyone here.

I've disabled the Malwarebytes service until a fix is available.

This sounds systemic.  We need a fix. My PC totally locked up and crashed. Malware Bytes consumes 100% of all resources. 

Just now, TerryH said:

This sounds systemic.  We need a fix. My PC totally locked up and crashed. Malware Bytes consumes 100% of all resources. 

Easy Launch task manager as admin, kill MBAM, open services.msc disable Malwarebytes.

Important: Re-enable the services once a fix is released.

Its no longer running now, went to disable it and its gone and mem usage is normal. Did the MBAM team kill it from your end?

Edited by confirmationready
change of status.

Same here. First time it crashed my PC while I was working. I rebooted and saw the Malwarebytes service consuming all my memory quickly, like a memory leak. I can end the task and it starts up and again starts consuming all the memory. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it again starts consuming all my memory. Right now I have it uninstalled so I can research.

Here is a little from my event viewer

11:08:04 AM, event ID 7045, source Service Control manager, A service was installed in the system and it was mwac.sys

11:21:59 AM, event ID 2004, source Resource-Exhaustion-Detector, Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. MBAMService.exe was the big offender by far, I have 16 GB of RAM and it used almost all of it

11:22:23 Malwarebytes service terminated unexpectedly

11:22:30 AM, event ID 7045, source Service Control manager, A service was installed in the system and it was mwac.sys

11:22:31 AM, event ID 7045, source Service Control manager, A service was installed in the system and it was farflt.sys

11:22:36 AM, event ID 7045, source Service Control manager, A service was installed in the system and it was mbam.sys

11:36:41 AM, event ID 2004, source Resource-Exhaustion-Detector, Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. MBAMService.exe consumed the most

11:41:28, event ID 41, source kernel-Power, The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

11:41:368, event ID 6008, source EventLog, The previous system shutdown at 11:26:21 AM on 1/27/2018 was unexpected

Think it's bad now just wait until all the complaints from moms everywhere griping about

the wailing coming from the basement.

Seriously Malwarebytes!!! You post a collection tool for us, like it's all our fault!!!

All of us couldn''t have screwed up our computers all at the same time. This memory problem is on your end not ours. 

1 minute ago, Klatch said:

After Microsoft updated it said welcome to Fall Creators Update. I already had that update, on top of having to reinstall Malwarebytes it deleted my Homegrpoup. After reinstalling Malwarebytes it was tanking the computer by eating all the memory resources same as everyone here.

I've disabled the Malwarebytes service until a fix is available.

I never had that issue. I'm on the Creators Update (version 1703). Could that issue have something to do with the Windows update containing the meltdown patch?

Uninstalled MB for the time being, will wait for some sort of explanation or fix from the developer, been using MB with a lifetime license since its scan results used to come up on a notepad file, first time since something like this happened to me, it odd at best, atleast I use ESET with it, so I'm not completely out of protection with it uninstalled, hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Glad I only had 4 personal machines to disable it on. I have the lifetime licenses and this is also the first time I've ever really had issues with it in v2 or v3. It did take me a while to update to v3 though (maybe 3-6 month delay) because I didn't realize it had one figuring auto-update would have taken care of any newer versions.

I totally understand those who work in IT and run large organizations about dealing with this and the headache. I would have hated to handle it for our customers if we ran the premium version on all their machines.

At the same time, as an IT pro I'm laughing at the few "IT pros" who said it took them a few hours to "figure out the cause." It took me 30 seconds to diagnose it (MBAM Service, memory leak) by just glancing in task manager. Knowing the temporary solution was instant too: Disable the service in services.msc, then kill the process. If a machine had locked up (2/4), just reboot then do these steps right away. Whoever posted the script has the right idea for large environments. But seriously, if it took you longer than that to figure it out, you're not very good at IT. Even if it happened in our client environment our RMM tool would have sent out tons of memory alerts including the top 5 processes using it. Instant diagnosis there too.

Having more memory does help diagnosis in person. Figured it out on my gaming rig first that has 32GB of RAM which took a while before it started to crap out. Was able to reboot and disable/kill before it filled up though even on my son's rig that only has 6GB of RAM. It is somewhat a race against time, but if you have less than 4GB of RAM you don't know how to Computer in the first place.