RAM usage - what is going on?

4 minutes ago, bclajr said:

Even though they obviously idiotically didn't do enough testing, its only been a couple of hours. It's a little too soon to make those comments. imo. but then again, who am i? :ph34r:

A company should have a roll back plan for a catastrophic event like this. They been aware of it for two hours, it is unacceptable

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Carm said:

How can a company scam its way out of damages? Welcome to AMERICA where big business screws over the little guy ALL THE TIME!

I say File it anyway, they will still have to pay lawyers fees for the court appearance prob costing thousands for that alone each time.

You can write anything you want in a EULA but it doesn't mean a court will uphold it. 

I'm pretty sure this is a server issue. I've got mwb2 installed, and it killed my machine (windows 7 pro).

Here's what I did, it seems to be a work-around until this gets fixed:
1. Quit MWB from the taskbar
2. Go to "services", and set the "Startup Type" for "Malwarebytes Service" to "disabled"
3. Reboot

Once malwarebytes fixes the issue, then just reverse the above.

We will see if malwarebytes is as good at telling us when they're server is healthy again as they are at telling us about the new things we can buy. I hope I don't have to poll forums like this to discover when this is resolved.

BTW, this demonstrates why having a second protection suite (in my case, windows defender or whatever stupid name Microsoft chose) available.

I don't think this has anything to do with updates on a client (you and me). I think they broke the server that all of their clients connect to

Edited by SomervilleTom

I also noticed a ton of TCP connections when this was occurring. For now, it is uninstalled. I have the paid version on another machine and that seems stable for now. But I don't think it has tried to update. Yes, the past year has been horrible compared to ALL of the prior years .

1 minute ago, Carm said:

A company should have a roll back plan for a catastrophic event like this. They been aware of it for two hours, it is unacceptable

Solid point. But wishing that is the case and being the case is very different and honestly it's not really a standard practice now-a-days 

I awoke to my computer dead (I left it on last night).

Immediately on reboot I started up Process Explorer (I use it for task manager), and continued to monitor. It MBAMService.exe reached 20GB of usage in under 20 minutes before I restarted the service.

However it's not just RAM, CPU usage on one core for MBAMservice is 100% (on 8-core machine, that's 12-13% total).

Unfortunately turning off all protections (while leaving it running) isn't good enough, it still climbs. I'm going to have to completely shut the service down.

FYI, you can do that by going into Services (start-> type 'Services'), then look for MalwareBytes Service.

Right click, go to Properties.

Where it says "Automatic," select "Disabled" from the drop down. Then click "Stop".

It will not restart after that. (follow the above steps and select "Automatic" again to restore the original behavior)

This is NOT a good solution though, but it's the only one that stops the system from eventually crashing from running out of RAM.

I'm on Windows 7, for the record.

Edited by Phoenix84

Same issue, but only on one pc - the only solution other than uninstalling this pc killer is to call up Task Manager and end task, Be patient, this takes a while since MB is using 98% of RAM. As soon as it stops it restarts, BUT, while the RAM usage is slowly creeping up, open services.msc, find the MB service. You can't stop it, but select properties and choose disable. Your pc is now yours again!