RAM usage - what is going on?

This have been happening to me for the past 2 hours. I was using the version 3.3.1 not sure the other numbers... I only got to know about this because my friend told me that he is having an issue with malwarebyte eating all of its RAM on 2 computers. On his laptop screen went black and it's kind of like dead. I didn't noticed it myself because I didn't checked straight away, but then my chrome become laggy and I went to task manager and it was like at 3gb but in 2 mins went from 3gb to 3.5 gb ram usage and kept growing. 

I just closed it with task manager and it doesn't seem to be popping up no more and my Ram and PC performance went back to normal...

Seriously, wth is happening??? 

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Carm said:

How about rolling your jenky update back to the previous version!

People paid for this and less experienced users I am sure are loosing their minds probably taking their PC and paying hundreds of dollars in a repair shop because of refusal to ROLL IT BACK

Seems to be an inherent stubbornness with all developers refusal to roll something back

Even though they obviously idiotically didn't do enough testing, its only been a couple of hours. It's a little too soon to make those comments. imo. but then again, who am i? :ph34r:

Same as the rest of you, except I actually did bluescreen the first time I tried to stop MalwareBytes Service.  Gee, thanks guys.

After watching this rinse and repeat over several kills/restarts, I'm done.  Uninstalled until the devs pull their heads out of their asses and release a version they've actually tested for more than an ten minutes.  (Literally, it took under 30min to exhaust 64GB.)

3 minutes ago, Joa said:

Same here, I thought it was a hardware issue at first until I found this thread. MWB was running wild processes all over the place prompting me that real time protection was turned off (apparently it did so by itself).

Only solution for me was to forcibly uninstall MWB through Revo Uninstaller, as I couldn't even uninstall it directly.

A shame that a program meant to protect you starts running wild with your PC. I'm a premium user, so hopefully they get this fixed soon. Always been happy with Malwarebytes, but this is a big fail here.

The issue must haver started after 14:00 GMT+1, as I had no trouble up until that point. Only logged back on in the evening and the problem started immediately.

That's not necessary -  it's too drastic.   Just disable it in Services.   Boot into safe mode if you have to to do this - I did because my PC was so wedged I couldn't get into serviced from a normal boot with this bug.

Windows 7 x64 same happening to me. Program doesn't eat up ram in safe mode so you can do scans and the like that way. I want a refund/credit for us all for the time mwb is unusable seeing as we paid for a WORKING antivirus program, not a locked up computer now and a sure to come halfass apology later. I could download a virus for that effect.

Same issue, massive memory leak, web protection turns itself off, unable to contact licensing server. Seems MB received an update that probably shouldn't have been pushed out given the immediate and overwhelming issues. Hopefully a fix is already in the works to be made available asap, otherwise MB's might see their subscribers disappear as quickly as our RAM.

I am also having the same problem, and seeing the same excessive memory use by MalwareBytes Service.  I will monitor this thread to see if you determine there is a "generic" fix applicable to all users of the MalwareBytes 3 product - if not, I'll start my own thread in a day or so.

Just now, bclajr said:

Even though they obviously idiotically didn't do enough testing, its only been a couple of hours. It's a little too soon to make those comments. imo. but then again, who am i? :ph34r:

it's not a version issue, I haven't updated my main program (still using 3.1.2) and I have this issue.

Told a friend about it he's like "man, mbam is not broken, you just broke your pc by doing something, I use version 3.3.1 and don't have issues", 5 minutes later he tells me "yo wtf is going on, mbam just froze my laptop and my pc, 3gb usage on memory on laptop then it crashes it"

So the version of the program is NOT an issue, stop spreading that stuff around

I went and disabled the malwarebytes service in services.msc.  that way it wont run, then whenever this crap gets fixed i can re-enable it.

also i noticed the web shield was never activating while the service was eating ram like a kid eating candy on Halloween night.

4 minutes ago, Fairlight2cx said:

Same as the rest of you, except I actually did bluescreen the first time I tried to stop MalwareBytes Service.  Gee, thanks guys.

After watching this rinse and repeat over several kills/restarts, I'm done.  Uninstalled until the devs pull their heads out of their asses and release a version they've actually tested for more than an ten minutes.  (Literally, it took under 30min to exhaust 64GB.)

Hmmm... with a leak at about 32 MB RAM / sec. That's maximum of 250 seconds with 8 GB RAM and 500 seconds for 16, 2000 for 64GB (before swapping to disk starts happening). Then it's a matter of disk space. Also these writes are terrible for SSDs with their limited writes life...