What happened to Rootkit Unhooker?

marktreg

I read that Microsoft bought the source code for a program called Rootkit Unhooker sometime in late 2007.

But the latest anti-rootkit software from Microsoft Sysinternals is RootkitRevealer v1.71, which was last updated on the 1st November 2006 - almost three years ago.

I'm just wondering a juggernaut like Microsoft haven't bothered to update their only dedicated anti-rootkit software for almost three years.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I believe MS has pretty much abandoned development on RootkitRevealer and Sysinternals (the original developer) is focusing more on their more popular tools such as Autoruns, ProcessMonitor and ProcessExplorer. As for RKU, I'm not too sure but I'd bet they probably acquired it to use its technology in their AV solutions such as ForeFront and OneCare/Microsoft Security Essentials (formerly Morro). There are much better tools still regularly updated for dealing with rootkits these days, but they are best not used by anyone who doesn't know what they're doing, of course the same can also be said of RootkitRevealer and RKU. As for future development of the tool itself, I'm not sure. The latest version posted is 3.8, which is pretty old at that. A good place to hunt for info on RKR and RKU would probably be here at the MS Sysinternals forum.

Thanks for replying, exile360. I've never really looked at Microsoft's AV solutions. I've always used NOD32.

I quite like GMER for rootkit detection, because of its very quick starting scan. Is RootkitRevealer better than GMER overall? Or are they much the same in their detection capabilities?