Malwarebytes Premium and IE11

Hi

I'm running MB 3.3.1.2.2183 on a Windows 10 Home edition PC with all the latest patches applied. I use Microsoft Edge as my default browser but there are time when I would also like to use Internet Explorer 11.  I now find that I cannot start IE 11 unless I disable Exploit Protection. As soon as IE 11 is open I can turn Exploit Protection back on and continue to use IE 11. It's just the initial execution that doesn't work.

A few weeks ago I noticed that Exploit Protection had been turned off and every time I tried to enable it the it would immediately switch of again. After looking at this forum the recommended solution for this kind of problem was to download the MB clean tool and reinstall. I did that and Exploit Protection would now turn on and stay on but I'm left with this problem with IE 11. I tried resetting IE 11 back to its default settings but that made no difference?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Let's try this first.... (Malwarebytes clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-clean tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.3.1.2183 CU 1.0.262) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (after you run all the tools requested, all the logs will be combined into one log file named: mb-check-results.zip located on your Desktop (which will include the FRST logs inside the zip file))
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.2.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

21 minutes ago, MJL said:

Reran and reinstalled MB - still the same.

The only thing I can think of is your AV program is interfering with Malwarebytes. And rereading the whole thread, I see you have not disabled of if that does not work uninstall it and restart a couple of times and test.

The only other AV program I have running is Windows Defender. I actually had that disabled until very recently. The problem with IE not starting preceded that. Ill play around with it some more and report back if I find anything.

Mike