Malwarebytes immediately stops scan

Hi guys,

since at least October of last year, I have had the problem described in the title of this thread. When I try to scan my PC with MWB, the program first searches for updates, then starts the next step, I'd translate it as "processes before the scan", and then immediately stops and tells me that the "scanning and moving to quarantine" has been finished, when it really didn't even start yet. The entire process takes 4 seconds according to the report, every single time. Do you know what the problem might be and how I can fix it? Is there some kind of repair-tool for MWB or would it be better to just reinstall it?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

33 minutes ago, Weiku said:

Do you know what the problem might be and how I can fix it?

:welcome:

Please post the logs from the above automated reply. Click the first "Reveal hidden comments" box for the needed logs.

The Forum team is looking forward to assisting you.

This is NOT an automated reply.:)

Thanks.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Weiku said:

Oh sorry, didn't think that automated reply contains anything important, so I ignored it ^^

In fact it did tell me something.

"installer_version" : "3.0.6",

You are almost a year behind.

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

The clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed.

If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

Please rescan again and report the results.

Apparently it's now working again, I just did a scan and it finished it, thanks ^^

Though I do have one more question: is it normal that the entire scan only took about 3 and a half minutes? It was a custom scan that only scanned drive C, I also excluded rootkits, but left everything else checked. Seems a bit to fast to me.

7 minutes ago, Weiku said:

I also excluded rootkits

I would have turned that on and done a threat scan.

7 minutes ago, Weiku said:

Seems a bit to fast to me.

Malwarebytes has improved scan times in the newer version. ;):)

This helps also:)

Prozessor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Installierter physikalischer RAM: 16305.21 MB

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, Weiku said:

I'll do a proper scan at some point anyway, I just don't have the time for it atm so I had to exclude rootkits for now.

So you think 3 1/2 minutes is a "normal" amount of time for the kind of scan that I did?

Yes and adding rootkits on a threat scan would not have increased that time much. You have a fast system and processor power to burn.

• 3 weeks later...

It's me again, I'm using the same thread because I have a similar question again:

After a Windows update yesterday/today, I found a weird program in my list of installed programs called "Windows Setup Remediations (x64) (KB4023057)". It DID appear shortly after the Windows update, however it does not have Microsoft as a publisher (the publisher is emtpy) and I can't find ANYTHING about it with Google. I found that very weird, so I started a MWB-scan, but this time it was finished in 42 seconds, telling me it scanned over 328.000 files in that time and that everything is "ok". That can't possibly be true? Scanning that many files in 42 seconds? That makes absolutely no sense :/

48 minutes ago, Weiku said:

After a Windows update yesterday/today, I found a weird program in my list of installed programs called "Windows Setup Remediations (x64) (KB4023057)"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023057/update-to-windows-10-versions-1507-1511-1607-and-1703-for-update-relia

48 minutes ago, Weiku said:

Scanning that many files in 42 seconds? That makes absolutely no sense :/

You are reading too much into this. For your benefit I ran a scan on my slower older computer than what you have.

-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 346579
Threats Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Threats Quarantined: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Time Elapsed: 1 min, 14 sec

You are imagining problems when they're not any.  Relax and just enjoy your clean and fast computer.

Edited by Porthos

I did see that article too, since I contacted Microsoft-support about the issue. The problem is, like I said, that this new installed program has no publisher, and the support guy said that this file is not from Microsoft (though admittedly, he seemed quite clueless and talked all over the place). But the biggest issue I have is that there is absolutely 0 information about this "Windows Setup Remediations (x64) (KB4023057)" thing on Google, aside from the 2 threads that I myself opened.

Hi Weiku, I found this exact program also this morning. Lately Windows keeps trying to get me to update my version, but every time I do so a lot my programs don't work anymore so I keep uninstalling the update assistant program. Usually it keeps getting reinstalled every couple hours or so trying to get me update, so I just go an uninstall it again whenever they do this, however this time when I went to install it I noticed this new program with no publisher or anything. Like you said when I tried Googling it only this thread comes up, very strange indeed.

No one seems to have any info on this, is it some new program?

3 minutes ago, jqin said:

No one seems to have any info on this, is it some new program?

It is a common reliability update replaces the previously released update 4022868. These updates come out every few months and there is no "fanfare" over them.

6 minutes ago, jqin said:

Lately Windows keeps trying to get me to update my version, but every time I do so a lot my programs don't work anymore so I keep uninstalling

You need to find out what needs to be done to have your programs work as new versions of 10 come along.(2 times a year) Sooner or later your computer will stop getting security updates  as each version goes end of support. I suggest going over to tenforums.com to work thru your win 10 issues. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply Porthos, I was a little worried it was weird program but that is a relief. And I exaggerated what I said earlier, but it's mostly several  specific games I bought that won't run anymore on the latest version of Windows - I will get the message "Rendering device lost! Application closing!" whenever I try to run them with the latest version of Win 10. When I go into my settings however I notice Windows gives me an option to go back to earlier version of Windows if I notice things aren't working as smoothly as intended, so I figured if Windows themselves are giving me an option to go back to an earlier version it should be safe to just stay on it, right?

Am I wrong? I really don't want to be doing something potentially putting my security at risk or damaging my laptop.

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Weiku said:

I got a new program in my list of installed programs without a publisher and with zero mentions in Google. That certainly is not normal, would you not agree?

I can't test because I am not on that old version of windows. I am always at the current one which is 1709 at the moment.

I don't usually worry about publisher as long as I know what and when it is released regarding MS updates.

1 minute ago, jqin said:

notice Windows gives me an option to go back to earlier version of Windows if I notice things aren't working as smoothly as intended, so I figured if Windows themselves are giving me an option to go back to an earlier version it should be safe to just stay on it, right?

Until that version goes end of service. Here is some more reading.  https://www.computerworld.com/article/3234766/microsoft-windows/windows-10-update-and-retirement-calendar-mark-these-dates.html

6 minutes ago, jqin said:

but it's mostly several  specific games I bought that won't run anymore on the latest version of Windows - I will get the message "Rendering device lost! Application closing!" whenever I try to run them

Need to look to the game maker for a patch if they are old games (more than 2-3 years old) and the maker does not care, You might have to retire them. I understand your frustration in that case, I have had to retire or purchase new versions of many programs and games over the last 7 years since Win 8 in 2012. Fourtutanly in my case I have access to more than one computer for anything I could not "live" without.

@jqin

Could you tell me which program exactly you are referring to? Since I got 2 programs installed by a Windows update, one a couple of days ago, and one yesterday/today.

Do you have both "Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)" and "Windows Setup Remediations (x64) (KB4023057)" or just one of those?

And could you also tell me which update level your Windows 10 is on? You can find out when you click on the Windows-Button bottom left -> Settings -> System -> Info (at the very bottom) - it says "Version such and such", which one is yours?