Error Code 703 (0, 48)

Hi everyone,

When trying to open the Malwarebytes program I am getting this error: Error Code 703 (0, 48).

I checked the common fixes thread and it said to contact support for my particular error. Malwarebytes has always worked just fine for me until this. Please help and thanks very much.

Error code 703 means: Error occurred expanding variables.

Try disabling any other security software you might have running when you scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

You may also want to add the following files to the exclusions list in any anti-virus software you have installed:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

I can't even open the program without invoking error 703 (0, 48), so I can't even get into it to do a scan or change any settings. And it's not my security program Avira that is interfering. I have been running Malwarebytes with no problems up until just the other day. Any idea what would cause this error out of the blue like this and what I should do to get into the program? Thanks.

... Any idea what would cause this error out of the blue like this and what I should do to get into the program?

An update from Avira would be the most likely cause, but AntiVir Personal doesn't have an exclusions list, so the fix won't be as simple if that is the case.

Try turning off AntiVir's Guard, and then running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. If that does not make a difference, then you may need to uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and download and install a fresh copy from this link.

Also note that System Error Code 48 means "The specified printer or disk device has been paused." There could be an issue with one of your hard drives not being properly mounted.

• Root Admin

Error code reading Format: 7xx (1, 2)

703 = Error occurred expanding variables.

0 (Microsoft System Error Code) = The operation completed successfully.

48 (Microsoft Visual Basic Error Code) = Error in loading DLL.

I would FIRST try to download a new database file and try that. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

If you're unable to load the program then try the following. Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, download the latest version of MBAM from here. http://malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

6. Again Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install, update, and register MBAM.

7. If you're running Avira Anti-Virus personal version 9.x then it does allow exclusions which you can set based on similar AV exclusions in the

FAQ : http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10138

Most users do not require exclusions though for Avira AV.

If you're able to install and run MBAM while your AV is disabled then now re-enable your Anti-Virus and reboot the computer and see if you still have an issue loading MBAM.

Error code reading Format: 7xx (1, 2)

703 = Error occurred expanding variables.

0 (Microsoft System Error Code) = The operation completed successfully.

48 (Microsoft Visual Basic Error Code) = Error in loading DLL.

Thank you. One of the many things that Marcin never bothered explaining. <_<