Am I protected w/ MWB without using my WIN 8 firewall ?

deucy14

I considered all other forums to post this question, yet since it is a simple one, I decided posting on this one.

1.  This forum is described as being outside of Malware; however (see 2 next).

2.  My specific question does not seem suitable for the MWB 3 forum, specifically as it addresses problems.  I don't know if I have a problem.  Mine is a simple question: Do I have complete Malwarebytes protection ?

3.  I have a long narrative about why I am running without my organic WIN firewall.  It can be completely ignored by the reader, but it is there if one is curious why this is, and just maybe (?) it could be helpful as relates to my question, but probably not.

4.  My simple question can be gone to directly with no fuss related to anything preceding it. It is at the last paragraph labeled:  "Question:"

Simple question but with heavy consequences if I have myself in some way in a  vulnerable condition.

Thank you very much in advance !

MY SITUATION:
My HP laptop (Lenovo a few years old with i7 processor) will not keep its Window firewall operating.  I had a

computer shop tech with much difficulty detect and resolve this Aug 2017.  A month later I went overseas (I still

am), and a few month after that the Windows firewall went in-op again.  I call him to ask what he did so I may be

able to duplicate his successful (though not sustained) solution.  He said he recalls fixing it, but over the phone

he cannot help me resolve it; he doesn't recall specifically what he did but he could probably repeat fix it should I

bring it in.  (I cannot bring it in while I am overseas.)  He recommended Zone Alarm or some such until I get back

when he can get my Windows firewall operating again.  My input however (post conversation with the tech):  Since I am

downstream from my landlady's router from which I get my internet, from what I understand, the router has its own

firewall, and I have at least that protection.

THIS IS WHAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION:
Explained under FAQ at the MWB web site "About MWB and firewalls: "
FAQ: "Since Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium can be considered an anti-virus replacement, does it include a Firewall?
REPLY: Ever since Windows Vista the built-in Windows Firewall is strong enough from a security perspective. In fact,

after Windows 7 SP1 many leading AV vendors dropped their proprietary firewall in favor of the built-in firewall with

a UI front-end. At Malwarebytes we don't provide a UI front-end to the Windows Firewall, but we have been relying on

the Windows Filtering Protocol (WFP) for our IP and domain blocking protection layer for years. Therefore for modern

Operating Systems (i.e. Windows 7 and beyond) we don't recommend or require the use of a third-party firewall."

QUESTION/s:
Considering my status, my question is about one sentence in the narrative in the paragraph immediately above from

MWB:  "At Malwarebytes we don't provide a UI front-end to the Windows Firewall, but we have been relying on the

Windows Filtering Protocol (WFP) for our IP and domain blocking protection layer for years."

Is my MWB compromised from giving me complete protection without me not having WFP (windows filtering

protocol) ?  My presumption is WFP is reliant on an operational Windows Firewall.

2 hours ago, deucy14 said:

I don't know if I have a problem.  Mine is a simple question: Do I have complete Malwarebytes protection ?

Malwarebytes is not a firewall as you read let's see if your Malwarebytes is working properly. 

Please use an Administrator account when doing the following,

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area