Malwarebytes and system tray

1 hour ago, bha19 said:

the icon disappears from my system tray.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues.... Please use an Administrator account when doing the following,

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

6 minutes ago, bha19 said:

"installer_version" : "3.2.2",

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

The clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed.

If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

2 minutes ago, bha19 said:

let's hope this works.

To hopefully avoid future issues.

I would like you to add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list as mentioned in this FAQ HERE (my list below includes the exe files as well) Please restart the computer when done.

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamwow.exe
  • C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys

Also please exclude the following folders too: (The complete folder)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

I meant to say That I will try this since the system tray icon is gone again this morning. I also want to say that I run Norton Security Suite and I figured out how to exclude all the files and folders you suggested but first I did an uninstall and reinstall of Malwarebytes like you suggested above. Thanks for the advice. By the way I had this trouble with Norton back in April2017 and was given the advice to make sure Norton was ticked to on on the taskbar settings which I did but do not know how it was ticked to off. I do see that Malwarebytes is tick on as well today.

Edited by bha19

2 minutes ago, lurch234 said:

I sometimes have this problem on startup using Win7 64 bit SP1. Since it seems just to be an annoyance, I went to the install folder and made a shortcut for the system tray icon.

I was figuring that it was a windows issue but I just want to be sure that the programs are still running. I now have them pinned to the longer taskbar for easy access when needed.

1 hour ago, bha19 said:

...I also want to say that I run Norton Security Suite and I figured out how to exclude all the files and folders you suggested but first I did an uninstall and reinstall of Malwarebytes like you suggested above. Thanks for the advice. By the way I had this trouble with Norton back in April 2017 and was given the advice to make sure Norton was ticked to on on the taskbar settings which I did but do not know how it was ticked to off. I do see that Malwarebytes is tick on as well today.

Hi bha19:

Your might want to follow the thread Malwarebytes System Tray Icon Missing After Latest Update.  The original poster MadDemon64 and I both use Norton AV products and our preliminary test results suggest that the Malwarebytes system tray icon (mbamtray.exe) will load correctly if we disable MB v3 self-protection (Settings | Protection | Startup Options | Enable Self-Protection Module | OFF) - see post # 96 and later in that thread.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183-1.0.262

55 minutes ago, bha19 said:

I will try that but as I posted in my own thread even Norton back in April would go missing from the tray. Norton seems fine now but I hope your fix works but do I really need to disable self protection as it serves some function? So I disabled self protection mode and shut down my computer and when I restarted there was no Malwarebytes again. I am running Windows 10 x64. I ran process lasso and it shows that Malwarebytes services is running.

Did you click shut down in the start menu? then turn on your computer?

12 minutes ago, bha19 said:

When I click start/shut down the computer automatically shuts down. I then push the start button on the computer mainframe.

You're running Windows 10, which has a feature known as Fast Startup enabled by default. When you "shut down" your computer, you're not fully shutting it down. You're essentially putting it into a low power hibernation state that allows the machine to start up faster the next time.

To disable fast start. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

To disable fast start temporarily for that boot hold the shift key down while clicking shut down. 

I suggest turning it OFF. I do that for all the computers I work on. Saves loads of phone calls when things are not working right. I used to get those calls all the time and I ask when they last restarted and they tell me the same thing you did and I have them restart instead, problems solved. 

I then turn it off for them permanently. No more repeat calls for the same issue. ;)

So a while back I disabled fast start up as recommended for my Norton problem, but just to check I found out it was enabled (don't know how since I never re enabled it). I went and disabled it and shut down the computer. When I restarted the computer Malwarebytes was in the system tray. Thanks for the tips and I will post again if this does not fix it.

i am having this same issue with the System Tray icon missing from taskbar although the program is running.

This happened after i had to disable Real Time Protection in order to access my router configuration via it's server address which I have done many times in the past without mbam blocking it.

I have already run FRST and MB-check and am attaching the .zip file to this message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Daniel R

mb-check-results.zip

2 minutes ago, djrobison22 said:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"controllers_version" : "1.0.273",

You're using the beta, which has some known issues with Web Protection. I would recommend reinstalling the latest stable version by using mb-clean from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean 

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You're using the beta, which has some known issues with Web Protection. I would recommend reinstalling the latest stable version by using mb-clean from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean 

I apologize...i got ahead of myself and uninstalled the beta version before I ran the cleanup utility.

Here are the results from running cleanup.

mb-clean-results.txt

1 minute ago, djrobison22 said:

I apologize...i got ahead of myself and uninstalled the beta version before I ran the cleanup utility.

Could you do the following, please. 

1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  4. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

49 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Could you do the following, please. 

1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  4. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

mb-check-results.zip

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Malwarebytes shows as not installed. Please download and install from here. https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

1 hour ago, djrobison22 said:

I will go ahead and download the latest stable version and let you know if there is a problem.

Thanks