Unable to connect the Service

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, crevier said:

I was using Malwarebytes free edition for a while, then it expired. Tonight, I bought the premium version. When I went to activate it, the app told me that there's a new version available so I installed it (Win10). Now, the program won't run. After I double click the icon, nothing happens for a few seconds, then I get a dialog box that says "Unable to connect the Service". Since it won't run, I couldn't find the version, so I looked at "Programs and Features" in the control panel, and it says "Malwarebytes version 3.0.6.1469".

I've seen the error mentioned a few times in the forum, but I'm not seeing a definitive solution. Getting frustrated.

malwarebytes-error.jpg

I had the same problem, so I ran an older version 2.1.8.1057 and it worked until the last update. Soooooo frustrating, I 

Gazzarazza

5 minutes ago, garryeliz said:

had the same problem, so I ran an older version 2.1.8.1057 and it worked until the last update. Soooooo frustrating, I 

You have posted to an old post. I am going to have your post moved to its own topic so we can fix you up. 

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues.... Please use an Administrator account when doing the following,

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

You have posted to an old post. I am going to have your post moved to its own topic so we can fix you up. 

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues.... Please use an Administrator account when doing the following,

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

I hope I have done this correctly. Thank you.

Addition_16-01-2018 15.09.00.txt

FRST_16-01-2018 15.09.00.txt

mb-check-results.zip

1 minute ago, garryeliz said:

I hope I have done this correctly. Thank you.

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

The clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed. If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

System has been up for:     21.5983 Hours

The last log you posted says your system has been up for 21 Hours. The MB clean tool should have automatically asked you restart your computer when run.

Did you allow the restart? After the restart it would have asked you to install MB.

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The last log you posted says your system has been up for 21 Hours. The MB clean tool should have automatically asked you restart your computer when run.

Did you allow the restart? After the restart it would have asked you to install MB.

Will run again, it did not ask for a restart?

1 minute ago, garryeliz said:

"unable to connect the service" So frustrating, and you are a patient person, cheers

I would like you to restart into safe mode with networking and try to install MB and if it installs please update and run a scan with rootkit scanning enabled.

Rootkit main.png

2 minutes ago, garryeliz said:

It still won't open even as administrator,  still "unable to connect the service" All in Safe Mode. is there another malware program that will run?

I am going to let staff get involved.  They are authorized to use other methods and tools.  @dcollins@nikhils@vbarytskyy

20 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The log shows that Malwarebytes is not installed correctly.

I'm going to move your topic to the Malware removal section @garryeliz and ask you to run the following please.

Please follow the directions from this post.

Then post back those logs

Thanks

Ron

Ron, thanks for the assist. Still came up with "Unable to connect the Service"

FRST.txt

mb-clean-results.txt

mb-check-results.zip

mbar-log-2018-01-16 (19-01-49).txt

system-log.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Let me have you run the following please

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

10 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Let me have you run the following please

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

OK, I hope I'm following you.

MTB.txt

• Root Admin

Okay, it's pretty late and I'm heading out. I hope this is a false entry, but the logs shows the following in your Event Logs

Error: (01/16/2018 07:26:00 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Malwarebytes Service service depends on the Windows Management Instrumentation service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%2 = The system cannot find the file specified.

I'll check on this further tomorrow and see what we can do to verify and fix as needed.

Thanks

Ron

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Okay, it's pretty late and I'm heading out. I hope this is a false entry, but the logs shows the following in your Event Logs

Error: (01/16/2018 07:26:00 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Malwarebytes Service service depends on the Windows Management Instrumentation service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%2 = The system cannot find the file specified.

I'll check on this further tomorrow and see what we can do to verify and fix as needed.

Thanks

Ron

getting late here to, signing off but thanks for you time.

• Root Admin
  1. Click Start, and type into the search bar  wmimgmt.msc  and then click on the program to open and run it.
  2. Right-click over the WMI Control (Local), and then click Properties
  3. Post a screen shot of the results.

It should show something similar to the image below.

check_wmi.jpg

Ron

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:
  1. Click Start, and type into the search bar  wmimgmt.msc  and then click on the program to open and run it.
  2. Right-click over the WMI Control (Local), and then click Properties
  3. Post a screen shot of the results.

It should show something similar to the image below.

check_wmi.jpg

Ron

Tricky stuff, I'm glad you know what your doing.

wm.PNG

• Root Admin

No, we can look at fixing it. I have to gather some information for you first. I'll try to get it done today and post back but if I've not posted by much later tonight then please send me a reminder private message as I have multiple things I'm working on.

Thanks

Ron