Another case of real-time protection turning off

Here's another case of Malwarebytes' real-time protection turning constantly off with Windows Defender mbon Windows 10 Home version 1709.

This 'real-time-turning-off' started as soon as I installed the trial version about a month ago. I didn't care much about it then, but when started to consider buying a full version, I needed a solution. I found this https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/217609-realtime-web-protection-will-not-stay-on/?tab=comments#comment-1195880 thread and applied the Defender exclusions described there, and removed and reinstalled Malwarebytes. It seemed to work, so I bought the full version... Well, it worked only for three days :wacko:. This morning the real-time protection started again turning off!!!

You NEED to find a working solution for this problem ASAP, otherwise you will lose lots of customers, me included...

Anyway, here's the mb-check-results.zip as instructed in another thread:

mb-check-results.zip

It looks like Malwarebytes is crashing during a scan, which is most likely causing your issue. Can you try the following to help us understand what's causing the crash on your system?

1. Download and extract Procdump.zip from here
  2. Right click on mbamservice - crash.bat and choose "Run as Administrator"
  3. Leave the black window up, and then open Malwarebytes and run a scan. Eventually the black screen should disappear.
  4. Once that happens, please look in the folder where the files are, and you should see a new one ending in .dmp
  5. Please zip that file that attach it in your reply, or use wetransfer.com to send it to dcollins@malwarebytes.com

Otherwise, doing a clean install by downloading mb-clean from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean and using that to remove your current version and reinstall the latest should solve your issue (at least until the crash happens again)

Unfortunately (or fortunately) Malwarebytes did not crash during a manual scan, and consequently did not produce any crash dumps. But the removal and reinstallation helped: real-time protection is working again - for now, at least. So it seems that something was in fact corrupted within Malwarebytes.

Is there anything else I could do now to help solving the issue for other users? If not, I'll contact you if the problems appear again.

Argh, I spoke too soon... :wub:. I closed the laptop for the night, and when I started it this morning, the real-time protection again kept turning off. Also, two strange things happened: first, MB started as a trial version and asked me for a license code (although I had entered it last evening when I reinstalled it), and then, after a few minutes, it crashed and restarted. And the real-time protection is still off... :wacko:

I do see mbamservice still crashing, which means you may run into the issues again. Can you please try following the instructions below, and then using your computer like normal? This way if something does break in the future, it may give us some insight as to what's going on.

1. Download and extract the attached crash_dumps.zip file
  2. In the folder, double click the crash_dumps.reg file and choose Yes when asked to import
  3. Use your computer as normal

If you notice Web Protection not turning on, please check the following folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps\mbamservice for any files. If they exist, please zip them up and attach them here or send them to dcollins@malwarebytes.com using wetransfer.com. Thanks!

crash_dumps.zip

I seem to have found some clues about why/when MB realtime protection breaks. Occasionally, my laptop's mouse drivers does not load when booting, so I'm forced to hard reset it by pressing the power button. That happened again this morning, and, you guessed it, MB realtime protection again started turning off. Removal and reinstallation fortunately fixed the situation. No crash dumps this time, either.