MalwareBytes v3.3.1 Crashes Windows 7(x64)

Hi,

I had MalwareBytes as an on demand scanner (NOT Realtime) to compliment ESET NOD32 (Realtime). This has been working well for a couple of years. I was using v3.3. Since ESET set the registry flag for the meltdown/Sceptre problem the patch was successfully downloaded and installed. I thought that the best idea to make sure MalwareBytes worked with the patch would be to launch it and then the box popped up saying upgrade  to the latest version which I did (v3.3.1). Then rebooted and ran a full scan, all seemed good. The next time I tried to launch the program it crashed asking if I wanted to send the details to Microsoft. I then downloaded the clean up utility from Malwarebytes website, ran it and on reboot allowed a clean installation. This also worked sometimes and crashed on others.

I have looked in the action centre reliability graph an seen that MalwareBytes Service and Mbam.exe both stopped working (I attach a txt file with the Microsoft details).

I have tried Updating the program's definitions as soon as it is installed so that it should be able to handle the Meltdown/Sceptre patch.

I cannot seem to get this working, not sure why???

I have followed the instructions to produce a mb-check-results.zip.

Can anyone interpret this output and get my MalwareBytes working again?

Advice would be appreciated.

mb-check-results.zip

Edited by Maurice Naggar
a superpluous attachment

9 minutes ago, Helter_Skelter said:

Advice would be appreciated.

:welcome:

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

The clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed. If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

Hi Porthos,

I have done several clean installs having run mb-clean utility, program still stops responding (either the mbam.exe or the mbam Service or both). My initial attempt was a Upgrade from v3.3.

Have tried installing after reboot of mb-clean both using the mb-clean program and using the download link you provide. The results are the same it works sometimes...

I am running a HP Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit, AMD Athlon 2 X2 215 (Regor family, dual core) Processor 2.70 Ghz, 3 GB RAM

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Helter_Skelter
machine details added

Hi,

You have the setup file on the Downloads folder, right ?   mb3-setup-consumer-3.3.1.2183-1.0.262-1.0.3674.exe

Go to that folder using Windows Explorer.  do a right-click on the setup file and select Run as Administrator and reply YES and allow it to proceed.

Monitor and watch all of the process.   You should see a working program after.

Make a note to see on the Dashboard, if it shows in "free" mode or in "trial " mode.

This has nothing to do with the recent MS patch updates.   Nor the vulnerability so much in the recent news.

By the way, if this pc used to have any older version of any Malwarebytes app, that would be good to know.

Cheers.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hi Maurice,

I followed your instructions, first running mb-cleanup, I then ran the downloaded installer as ADMINISTRATOR, it installed OK (it is the FREE version installed, which is what I wanted). I then Updated the definitions, set a few preferences and ran a threat scan, worked fine.

I rebooted and double clicked on the MalwareBytes icon and the MalwareBytes Service and Mbam.exe both stopped working. The box to send details to Microsoft pops up. Apparently the same behaviour.

This machine has had several versions of MalwareBytes installed on it, the most recent working version was v3.3.0

Further suggestions Welcomed

mb-clean-results_4.txt

Lets slow down and re-group.   and get some details first.

you ran mb-cleanup before the new install I suggested?   why?

You ran the mb3 setup which did work and you did manage to do a scan and it did work.

Find where you saved the FRST.exe  and run it one more time. 

Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer.   Be sure the check box for ADDITION txt is ticked.

Press the "Scan" button

This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt

attach those with your next reply.    Thanks.

I would also like to see if you can go to the Windows start menu, and look for Malwarebytes, and start it from there.

Please try the following to get us a crashdump of what's happening

1. Download and extract Procdump.zip from here
  2. Right click on mbamservice - crash.bat and choose "Run as Administrator"
  3. Leave the black window up, and then try to open Malwarebytes again. It should crash like normal
  4. Once that happens, please look in the folder where the files are, and you should see a new one ending in .dmp
  5. Please zip that file that attach it in your reply, or use wetransfer.com to send it to dcollins@malwarebytes.com

Hi Maurice,

thanks for your posts.

I ran the mb-clean so that all traces of the previous v3.3.1 would be removed before installing using the ADMINISTRATOR account.

I have until now double clicked on the MalwareBytes shortcut on the Desktop. I tried once clicking on the MalwareBytes entry in the Start Menu, it launched OK, tried 5 times, each time loaded OK. Tried 5 times double clicking on the Desktop shortcut, each time it loaded OK. Not sure what was different about the Desktop shortcut launch on the first boot after install that caused the stop responding?? cannot reproduce now??

I attach the files you asked for.

Any ideas??

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

Hi dcollins,

I followed your instructions and attach the .dmp file. I have been wondering about why I was not able to reproduce this stop responding of mbam.exe and the mbam service for Maurice.  The only difference that I can think of is that if the machine has booted and been up for > 5 mins ish since installing as ADMINISTRATOR I am not able to reproduce problem. Is this something to do with how soon after the boot that I run MalwareBytes or some interaction with the programs I run at boot time??

Any ideas what's happening here?

MBAMService.exe_180114_031215.dmp

Hi dcollins,

Thanks for your posts.

The issue is NOT resolved. I am still getting the problem if I launch MalwareBytes < 5 mins (a guess) after the machine boots (the dmp file was generated under this circumstance).  Now it seems not to be an intermittent fault, but a time dependant one?

Please have a look at the dmp file and see if you can identify what is causing this.

Hi Maurice,

If I had NOT upgraded MalwareBytes from v3.3.0 to v3.3.1 would the program have caused a BSOD as it was not compatible with the meltdown/Spectre patch?

I see in one of the logs you asked me to produce that there are 3 accounts on the machine. There is ADMINISTRATOR, MyName administrator, and guest. How does running the installer with administrator privalidges affect the smooth running of Malwarebytes?        

In the past when I have installed I have NOT done this and MalwareBytes has run fine.

I am trying to understand how this works.

I really seriously doubt anything at all, that the "crash" experience has anything to do with the MS security pacth !!

I just think it has to do with either or both, of the pc having ESET antivrus and possibly having Malwarebytes in "trial mode".
( but more likely, bad installs on prior setup runs).
If Malwarebytes is in "trial mode" Eset should be ajusted to treat Malwarebytes as a trusted app.
And the same if Malwarebytes is in Premium mode.

You just are using Malwarebytes as a free mode on-demand scanner.  Lets have you review inside the program and visually re-check.
Start Malwarebytes.
Look on the Dashboard screen.  Look at the title bar ( way at top) and next bar just below.  Do they show "free"?

Click the Settings button >>  then Protection tab.   scroll down to Startup options.   What do you see there?

Click the My Account tab.  What do you see there?
If you see a lit button for "Deativate Premium Trial" then click that so that free mode is set.

I am confident that if the install is good, there should be no "crashes".

By the way, you remarked  <<The only difference that I can think of is that if the machine has booted and been up for > 5 mins ish since installing as ADMINISTRATOR I am not able to reproduce problem. Is this something to do with how soon after the boot that I run MalwareBytes or some interaction with the programs I run at boot time?? >>
ESET Nod32 is one active security app to keep always in mind.
and I do believe there is also elements of SUPERAntiSpyware running too.
There is also the drivers from Trusteer Rapport.   It is quite possible ( Trusteer )  may have conflicted.

By the way, running the installer as Administrator ( using Run as )  is always a good practice just to be sure there are no hindrance as far as access rights during setup.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hi Maurice,

the  dashboard screen says Free 3.3.1,

Settings button >>  then Protection tab.   Startup options -> Start MalwareBytes at Windows Startup -> OFF (the other settings are all Premium)

Settings button >>  My Account tab -> I have clicked on End Trial so the two buttons visible are -> Activate licence & Upgrade Now

I will try and find out if there is a way of adjusting ESET NOD32 to treat Malwarebytes as a trusted app (I have never needed to do this before this version of MalwareBytes).

I have provided dcollins with a dmp file from monitoring the mbam service when it stops responding.

I can only report what actually happens, see attachment.5a5bd5c185f0f_ReliabilityLog.thumb.jpg.bc3df666632a14f4df833d1791d43bae.jpg

Hi Maurice,

I have set ESET NOD32 to exclude scanning of

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Here are the Action Centre reports of one occasion when the mbam.exe & mbam service stopped responding (see attachments).

You say that "possibly having Malwarebytes in "trial mode". ( but more likely, bad installs on prior setup runs)" are responsible for these issues.

Why would having MalwareBytes in "trial mode", rather than Premium mode cause these problems?

Do you have a cleanup utility that removes ALL traces of ALL versions of MalwareBytes that have been installed on a machine?

Mbam.jpg

Mbam_Service.jpg

Hi Porthos,

thanks for telling me that your mb-clean utility removes ALL remanants of All previous installations of MalwareBytes.

Maurice said  "but more likely, bad installs on prior setup runs" could be responsible for my problem. As I used this utility before Installing as ADMINISTRATOR we can eliminate this as a cause of problems.

Hi,

I have just seen another post on this forum which applies to me.

"What do I do to make ESET NOD32 and Malwarebytes run well together"

I have excluded all the items Porthos recommended which were present on my system.

++ Present and Excluded
-    NOT present

++C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
++C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe
++C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
++C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
+ +C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
++C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
++C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
++C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamwow.exe
-C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys
++C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys