Mbamservice terminiated unexpectedly?

I received the same message as this person (http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18483&hl=mbamservice)

When I go into Malwarebytes and start protection it 'starts' but then says its automatically running, but it seems to not be because the button is active.

I checked that thread and it only said the user was helped, but no solution as posted. Can someone help me?

Thanks,

hkaurk22

I have the same problem and wish I could say I had the same happy resut as hkaurk22. Followed the directions referred to above. Didn't work. Reinstalled 1.39 and unsurprisingly the problem didn't occur again (until it automatically updates to 1.40--if I could turn off the automatic updating of the program itself, I would). I made of point of not starting "protection", but it doesn't matter, problem still occurs just like it does with protection on. I guess my only option is to uninstall. Yes, I've paid for the full version and it worked great for several months. I'm running Windows XP SP3, if it matters. Obviously it's conflicting with one of the programs that start up with Windows, but since it didn't happen until 1.40 and nothing else has changed on my computer, I tend to blame Malwarebytes. I would appreciate any help it getting this running again. Thanks

When these errors occur, there is a log saved in the following folder:

On Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

On Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

The next time this error happens, open the log with the most recent date, and copy an paste the contents into a reply.

When these errors occur, there is a log saved in the following folder:

On Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

On Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

The next time this error happens, open the log with the most recent date, and copy an paste the contents into a reply.

Here it is:

18:49:03 Mark MESSAGE Protection started successfully

18:49:03 Mark ERROR IP protection failed: PfBindInterfaceToIPAddress failed with error code 87

18:51:41 (null) MESSAGE Protection started successfully

I need to add that, despite what the message above say, no protection was running following the error message saying it had to unexpectedly close. I checked which tasks were running, and there were no Malwarebytes tasks running. No icon in the System Tray either. Appreciate the help.

18:49:03 Mark MESSAGE Protection started successfully

18:49:03 Mark ERROR IP protection failed: PfBindInterfaceToIPAddress failed with error code 87

18:51:41 (null) MESSAGE Protection started successfully

OK, I think I understand what's happening here.

Open up the settings for your anti-virus or Internet Security, and find the exclusions list. You need to add the following files to it:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Let me know if you have any trouble with these steps, and especially if it doesn't work.

OK, I think I understand what's happening here.

Open up the settings for your anti-virus or Internet Security, and find the exclusions list. You need to add the following files to it:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Let me know if you have any trouble with these steps, and especially if it doesn't work.

Still no joy. I excluded the above files in avast! (my anti-virus program); however, that just made my computer lock up when I next restarted it (although I was still able to start the Windows Task Manager, even I couldn't get it to restart or shut down my computer). Anyway, I had to log on in Safe Mode in order do anything. I got the following from the Log before I (again) uninstalled Malwarebytes:

19:11:24 Mark MESSAGE Protection started successfully

19:11:24 Mark ERROR IP protection failed: PfBindInterfaceToIPAddress failed with error code 87

20:05:02 Mark MESSAGE Protection started successfully

20:09:32 (null) MESSAGE Protection started successfully

Please let me know what you'd like me to try next. Thanks

I see no problem on my XP Pro system with Database version: 2651

01:13:57 Ken IP-BLOCK 188.120.33.58

01:14:00 Ken IP-BLOCK 188.120.33.58

01:14:06 Ken IP-BLOCK 188.120.33.58

01:14:18 Ken IP-BLOCK 188.120.33.58

01:14:21 Ken IP-BLOCK 188.120.33.58

01:14:27 Ken IP-BLOCK 188.120.33.58

06:44:47 (null) MESSAGE Protection started successfully

06:45:20 Ken MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

07:31:56 Ken IP-BLOCK 174.132.135.50

07:31:59 Ken IP-BLOCK 174.132.135.50

07:32:05 Ken IP-BLOCK 174.132.135.50

07:32:17 Ken IP-BLOCK 174.132.135.50

07:32:20 Ken IP-BLOCK 174.132.135.50

07:32:26 Ken IP-BLOCK 174.132.135.50

If you reinstall, right-click on the tray icon, UNcheck "Start with Windows", reboot, does the problem still occur? If not, what if you then subsequently open the main program and click Start Protection manually?

No, the computer runs fine when I uncheck "Start with Windows," even after rebooting. When I "Start Protection" manually, nothing visibly happens: the icon is still in the System Tray, the "Start Protection" button is grayed out. I rebooted, and did the same thing again, with the same results. Here's what the log showed:

20:07:52 Mark MESSAGE Protection started successfully

20:07:52 Mark ERROR IP protection failed: PfBindInterfaceToIPAddress failed with error code 87

20:16:11 Mark MESSAGE Protection started successfully

20:16:11 Mark ERROR IP protection failed: PfBindInterfaceToIPAddress failed with error code 87

In addition, I checked the "Start with Windows" switch, and rebooted. The error message I got was "MBAMService terminated unexpectedly: see Event Log for details." After I rebooted (I had to hit the reset button on my computer since it locked up), I quickly right clicked on the MBAM icon in the system tray, unchecked "Start with Windows", then right clicked on it again and clicked on "Exit". Even after that I got another error message, which I copied to a document and uploaded to this post (at least I hope I did it right). I have no idea if any of this helps, but I figure more information can't hurt since we don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Obviously (I hope), having MBAM not start with Windows is unacceptable, as is having to manually "Start Protection" each time I start my computer. I'm not sure what else to try. It's obvious version 1.40 is the problem. If I could go back to the previous version, everything would be fine.

MBAM_Error.doc

Well, something visibly does happen -- protection starts correctly and the icon appears in the System Tray -- correct?

What I guess I should have said is that nothing visibly negative happened. To repeat myself, the icon was in the system tray when I manually start it. Does protection start correctly? I'd say based on the following line from the log (that, again, I provided in my earlier post) that protection does not start correctly when I manually start it:

20:07:52 Mark ERROR IP protection failed: PfBindInterfaceToIPAddress failed with error code 87

In any case, what's your point? If you're implying that it's working at an acceptable level, you would be incorrect. As I stated in my earlier post (using different words): if MBAM doesn't properly start with Windows, then it isn't doing what I paid money to your company to do. It works properly up to and including version 1.39. Version 1.40 does not work. So what next?

• 3 weeks later...