Outlook crashes when trying to back up email

bluegiraffe

Hi

I've been trying to back up my email - I have done this before successfully but currently cannot as Outlook just stops. I am running an older version of Outlook (2007) which till now has worked ok. Do I REALLY have to upgrade or can this be fixed? I have up to date Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. 

thank you

HOW are you backing up your email ?

For example are you using PST files and are you automatically or manually moving email into folders within PST files ? said PST files

Using PST files is the first component of backing up your email while the second component is coping PST files to Flash Drives, external Hard Disks or to DVD media.

The only error message is the Program has stopped responding pop up with the options to wait, abort or shut the program down.

Doing the back up, I went File, Export, then selected the pst option, checked the personal mail folder and then the next option is to tell it where to back up to, which I did. It starts the back up and then freezes. At times it won't even start the back up but just freezes.

PST files are also known as "offline folders"  and "Outlook data files".

The best way to use them is to create a PST in a simple known folder like...

C:\Users\user_name\Documents\MyBackup.pst

And then go into Outlook Setting and AutoArchive and have it automatically move email to that PST.  For example, email that is older than 60 days old and perform the AutoArchive either daily or weekly.

Every so often, while MS Outlook is NOT running, copy C:\Users\user_name\Documents\MyBackup.pst  to external media.

If there are problems copying or moving data into a PST then the PST may be corrupted.  You can use the Office 2007 PST Repair Tool to repair it

Reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/272227/how-to-repair-your-outlook-personal-folder-file--pst

https://www.uwec.edu/help/outlook07/ARCH-enable.htm

Edited by David H. Lipman
Spelling, Grammar and Clarification