Prevention of the installation of Meltdown/Spectre

hake

MBAE did not react while the patch was being installed.

I hope that MBAE will block any exploit needed to install Meltdown/Spectre spyware. I guess that the web browser or email attachment would be the route for an exploit to take.

I'm still waiting for an official answer to the original question.   Given that part of the problem is hardware/firmware related (requiring a BIOS/UEFI update), and part of the problem (to the best of my understanding) is based on the precise exploitation of "timing loops", I would hazard a guess that such vulnerabilities are beyond the scope of what MBAE monitors.   I'd be happy to learn I'm wrong about this.

11 hours ago, hake said:

MBAE did not react while the patch was being installed.

I hope that MBAE will block any exploit needed to install Meltdown/Spectre spyware. I guess that the web browser or email attachment would be the route for an exploit to take.

Good to know that Windows won't freak out. If MBAE does not block the exploit, then CIS would stop any unknown programs :D

I have read that an exploit can be performed by using JavaScript which works in a web browser to access memory.  JavaScript program can read data from the address space of the browser process running it.

Browser providers are working on mitigation updates: -
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/01/03/mitigations-landing-new-class-timing-attack/
https://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/ssca

Edited by hake