Cannot connect to the Internet - Can't find IP address issue after running Malwarebytes

Vee

I ran Malwarebytes and since then, I can't connect to the internet using IE8 or Firefox or any other browser.

I'm doing this on behalf of a friend who has just switched broadband providers and as such seems to have let her anti virus slip so clearly had problems. She had 34 issues come up after the Malware was run which have been removed.

But... since then, we can't get on the internet at all either via wireless or LAN (plugging in wire). I'm writing this from a PC in the house that can connect so there's no issue with the modem or anything.

When I try to connect I get issues with can't acquire an IP address. The operating system is Windows XP, the laptop is and oldish IBM Think Pad.

There is no anti virus on the system - there used to be McAffee and its still there but not fully updated as subscription lapsed (clearly the start of my friend's issues!).

I am now sure the malware has gone.

The firewall is on but I get an error when I try to open Windows Firewall it says "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service."

I've tried to disable and enable the connection, also tried to repair but the error with repair is about not being able to get the IP address.

I'm NOT technical or experienced (just enthusiastic about trying to learn and help my friend!) - I can just follow specific instructions so if you are kindly able to offer any advice, would appreciate if you give step by step details to help me as otherwise I might be stuck!

Thanks so much!

Hi and Welcome to the forums :rolleyes: . Sounds like you may still have malware issues. I would follow the directions below and let one of the experts look at your logs.

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?

2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

* Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.

* Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.

* Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.

* If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.

* Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.

* There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

* NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.