SouthernYankee

After Quarantine Cannot Start Win 10 in any Mode

I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes last week. The original reason was to scan an infected HDD from another PC, connected via USB. Six viruses were found. Fine, to this point. I then set up a scheduled scan of my C drive to run every night. It found 93 PUPs, apparently all dealing with the Chrome browser. No big deal, I thought. After putting the found files in quarantine. I restarted. This is where my problems started.

The Windows 10 OS would not start. Instead Automatic Repair ran and indicated there were problems with the PC. Standard message. I tried letting the system repair the problem but it couldn't. I tried booting into Safe Mode but it instead cycled through Auto Repair with the same result. I disabled Auto Repair but it then stopped as before saying my PC had problems. There were 3 options involving Safe Mode. I tried them all to no avail. I can open a command prompt and see my C drive and the Program Files folder but I'm unsure what to do next.

Is there a way to unquarantine those files?

Do you get any specific error messages when you're computer is turning on? Those files can't be restored from quarantined unless it's done by Mb3, but if we know the error, we can look at getting you back into your operating system

Thanks for the reply...

Recovery

Your PC couldn't start properly.
After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs to be
repaired.

Error code 0xc0000001

Choose one of the options below to address this problem.

Press Esc for recovery
Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Startup Settings

After a minute or so it shuts down if I don't take any of the options.

Ok, I'm going to move your post to the Malware Removal Section to see if one of the people over there can take a look and get you back up and running.

Hello SouthernYankee and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Do you have access to another PC and a USB flash drive 4gb or more, if so do the following:

Plug USB Flash Drive into spare PC, navigate to that drive and Right click on it directly, select > Format. The quick option is adequate.

When the format completes download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

save it to a USB flash drive. Ensure to get the correct version for your system, 32 bit or 64 bit.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flash drive into the sick PC when it has been booted to the Recovery Environment.

We now need to access the Recovery Environment

To enter the Recovery Environment with Windows 10, follow the instructions in This Tutorial on TenForums
Note: If you can't access the Recovery Environment using the method above, you'll need to create a Windows installation or repair media. It can be made on the computer itself or another one running the same version of Windows as the one you plan to use it on. For more information, check out This Tutorial on TenForums.

From the Windows 10 Tutorial you should get access to the Advanced Startup Options at boot for Windows 10

user posted image

From that window select "Troubleshoot"

user posted image

From the next window select "Advance Options"

user posted image

From that Window select "Command Prompt"

Ensure to plug the flash drive into a USB port... You should now be in Recovery Environment with the Command Prompt Window open......

Continue with the following:

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" or "My PC" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type E:\frst64 or E:\frst depending on your version. Press Enter Note: Replace letter E with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press SCAN button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Thank you,

Kevin

Okay, we seem to be taking some steps backward. Originally, I was able to get to a cmd prompt. Now, all options are asking me to provide a password for, not Administrator, but my named account. I have never set up a password for my account. Even just hitting Enter still says incorrect password.

I have 2 Win 10 machines, both via free MS Upgrade from win 8.1, so I created a recovery disk on the good one, changed the BIOS to boot from Internal ODD. When restarting, it's as if it is ignoring the ODD and still trying to boot from the HDD. I hear no spin up on the ODD during the boot sequence. Rechecking the BIOS settings shows the ODD as the 1st Boot option.

I don't know if this is pertinent or not but back when I was able to get to a cmd prompt, it opened, not at C: but X:. My 1 TB HDD was partitioned into a C, F, X, and Z drives. I thought the default prompt was always C:.  I can CD to C: and display its contents with dir and all seems normal. That is until it started asking for a password. 

Also, very impressive and thorough reply. Your attention to detail is much appreciated.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks