about:blank help tips

about:blank is the most pesky of spyware i have ever found. As the computer guru at work using the Novell networking, I recently encountered this "virus".

Here are some tips for removal:

First off, if you can access the internet, download CWShredder and Aboutbuster. Download the updates for both. Make sure you save them to a local folder (not a temp folder).

Enable hidden files....HOW? Double click MY Computer....Choose TOOLS...Choose Folder Options....Choose the VIEW tab... then select SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERs

Start your computer in safe mode.

With XP, turn off your computer. Now turn it on. Tap the F5 button repeatedly. You should come up with an options screen. One option is press F1 to continue. Press F1 then continue tapping F5. Choose the option of Safe Mode when the options appear.

Once in safe mode, do a search for temp files.... when it asks for the filename type in *.tmp

Once it brings them all up, delete them all, then promptly empty your recycle bin.

Remove all Temporary Internet Files as well

Go to C:/Windows/Prefetch

Delete all files in this folder then Empty recycle bin

Now run CWShredder and Aboutbuster

Restart computer....this worked for me...

beefyalby

Hi beefyalby,

Thanks for posting this here :D

About:Blank is a pesky infection and installs alot of files along with it. Even if you do what you said, I still recommend you run ewido anti malware and post a HijackThis log.

Danny :D

Please download the trial version of ewido anti-malware from here:

http://www.ewido.net/en/download

Please read Ewido Setup Instructions after you install it then update the definitions to the newest files.

Do NOT run a scan yet.

* Boot into Safe Mode

* Click on ewidow scanner

* Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.

* While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK

* When it asks if you want to clean the first file, put a check in the lower left corner of the box that says "Perform action on all infections" then choose clean and click OK.

*Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report

* Click Save report.

* Save the report .txt file to your desktop.

* Post the log here in your topic