Anti-Ransomware Beta 1.1.129 interfere with New Identity in Tor browser

denial

Hello,

i believe my issue is same - related to this:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24709

Torbutton: Unexpected error on new identity: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIPrefService.savePrefFile]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://torbutton/content/torbutton.js :: torbutton_do_new_identity :: line 1202" data: no]

when i try to create a New Identity.
However i found out, that also no settings are saved.

I'm using Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, latest patches, and latest TorBrowser 7.0.11

I deleted whole torbrowser folder and downloaded fresh installation file and installed it and same issue.
I downloaded zipped torbrowser from another computer where it works and on my computer - same issue.

I ran procmon and i think this is the related error:

13:18:42,3674148 firefox.exe 6840 SetRenameInformationFile C:\Run\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Browser\profile.default\prefs-1.js ACCESS DENIED ReplaceIfExists: True, FileName: C:\Run\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Browser\profile.default\prefs.js

This is from a working computer:

1:22:11.4822217 PM firefox.exe 3404 SetRenameInformationFile C:\Run\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Browser\profile.default\prefs-1.js SUCCESS ReplaceIfExists: True, FileName: C:\Run\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Browser\profile.default\prefs.js

Please note:
i have no antivirus, i'm logged in/running all apps as administrator, the folder is writable, the disk is not full.

Thanks.

EDIT:
I have just found out that when i disable malwarebytes antiransomware 0.9.18.807-1.1.129 ... then it is working.

• Staff

Hello again, denial. Thanks for your report. I'm not sure this reported issue is related to the topic you posted in, so I've split this out to it's own topic.

Can you try something for me?

Close Tor.

Ensure Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware is running.

Stop Protection in Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Launch Tor

Start protection in Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Attempt to use the New Identity function in Tor

Does it work for you this way?

• 4 weeks later...

I am confirming this bug. I have Win 7 64 bit, running Tor browser 7.5 (latest stable release) with MBARW 1.1.129. I tried using 'new identity' in Tor and it failed in exactly the same way. Then I disabled MBARW and 'New Identity" worked. Then I reenabled MBARW and 'New Identity' failed again.

Not only that, MBARW also Tor browser to be unable to change user settings in general: Tor forgets after closing the window if I want to use a Bridge or just connect, what security setting I last had, and if I disabled the "Do you want to close 5 tabs" popup. I confirmed these too in the above manner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Greetings, @denial and @314159 -

We have released the next Component Update (CU) for Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta. One of the items fixed is this issue with the Tor browser.

You should receive the new CU 1.1.139 in the coming days. It's being served in a metered fashion.

Please let us know if your results match ours. We believe it should.