How did I get update package version 1.0.3633?

I checked my version of Malwarebytes (Free version) and it said the update package version I had was 1.0.3633.

What is somewhat confusing about that is that I read that update package 1.0.3624 was released the other day (and that this was supposed to allow MB users to get Microsoft's mitigation for Meltdown/Spectre).  However, I have "Automatically download and install application component updates" off under the "Application" tab.  How did I move from one version to a higher version if I have the automatic update system turned off?

FYI, I got KB 4056894 from Windows Update a couple days ago so at least that worked.  I was curious about this MB issue though.  

I'm using W7 64-bit.

Some more info about my MB:

version:  3.3.1.2183
component package version:  1.0.236
update package version:  1.0.3633

Okay...but I'm curious how I moved from one version number to a higher one without clicking on the Install application updates button and having automatic updates turned off for MB.

The only thing I've done is threat scans a couple times since then with MB.

I may have figured it out.  

Daman1's post actually got me thinking so I tried clicking on the 'check for updates' on the dashboard and that updated the update package to his number.  So I think I'm okay actually.  Apparently that part of MB updates whenever I do a threat scan or the dashboard check.

13 hours ago, CT31 said:

I checked my version of Malwarebytes (Free version) and it said the update package version I had was 1.0.3633.

What is somewhat confusing about that is that I read that update package 1.0.3624 was released the other day (and that this was supposed to allow MB users to get Microsoft's mitigation for Meltdown/Spectre).  However, I have "Automatically download and install application component updates" off under the "Application" tab.  How did I move from one version to a higher version if I have the automatic update system turned off?...

Some more info about my MB:
   version:  3.3.1.2183
   component package version:  1.0.236

Hi CT31:

Think of the update package version in Malwarebytes v3 as the database version for the malware definition set.  Malwarebytes adds new detections for malware on a daily basis and your background automatic updates check for an updated definition set (update package version) on a regular basis.  If you go to Settings | Protection | Updates | Check for Updates Every: the default is to check for definition updates every 1 hour, and if a new malware definition set is available your update package version will change.  If you re-enable Settings | Application | Application Updates | Automatically Download and Install Application Component Updates your automatic updates will also check for any new product updates (e.g., v3.3.1 for the main MB scan engine) or new component update package (e.g. v1.0.262 for additional modules for anti-exploit, anti-ransomware, etc.) at the same time that it checks for a new definition set.  I noticed you have component update package v1.0.236, so you might want to run a manual check for new update components (Settings | Application | Application Updates | Install Application Updates) to see if you're upgraded to the current v1.0.262 component update package described <here>.

The terminology in the old Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v2 was much less confusing.  The malware definition set was referred to as the malware database version and the numbering scheme indicated the date the new definition set was released (e.g., v2017.03.22.4 was the fourth definition set released on 22-Mar-2017).  I don't know why Malwarebytes changed the term to update package version and now uses a meaningless numbering scheme (e.g., I currently have update package version v1.0.3643 for my malware definition set) but there were several complaints about this when MB v3 was released - see user comments in DougCuk's May 2017 thread Database Updates and Version Info for one example.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183-1.0.262

Edited by lmacri

On 1/7/2018 at 7:14 AM, lmacri said:

Hi CT31:

Think of the update package version in Malwarebytes v3 as the database version for the malware definition set.  Malwarebytes adds new detections for malware on a daily basis and your background automatic updates check for an updated definition set (update package version) on a regular basis.  If you go to Settings | Protection | Updates | Check for Updates Every: the default is to check for definition updates every 1 hour, and if a new malware definition set is available your update package version will change.  If you re-enable Settings | Application | Application Updates | Automatically Download and Install Application Component Updates your automatic updates will also check for any new product updates (e.g., v3.3.1 for the main MB scan engine) or new component update package (e.g. v1.0.262 for additional modules for anti-exploit, anti-ransomware, etc.) at the same time that it checks for a new definition set.  I noticed you have component update package v1.0.236, so you might want to run a manual check for new update components (Settings | Application | Application Updates | Install Application Updates) to see if you're upgraded to the current v1.0.262 component update package described <here>.

The terminology in the old Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v2 was much less confusing.  The malware definition set was referred to as the malware database version and the numbering scheme indicated the date the new definition set was released (e.g., v2017.03.22.4 was the fourth definition set released on 22-Mar-2017).  I don't know why Malwarebytes changed the term to update package version and now uses a meaningless numbering scheme (e.g., I currently have update package version v1.0.3643 for my malware definition set) but there were several complaints about this when MB v3 was released - see user comments in DougCuk's May 2017 thread Database Updates and Version Info for one example.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183-1.0.262

I had component update package 1.0.262, but soon after I got it I began to get mbam.exe and tray errors (even though I had the tray icon turned off).  Plus, it wouldn't complete threat scans often...most of the time it would freeze on a certain file in memory objects.  I went back to 1.0.236 and things work fine now.  I'll try updating again when MB puts out a new version.

On 1/6/2018 at 8:02 PM, CT31 said:

I was curious about this MB issue though.  

On 1/6/2018 at 8:02 PM, CT31 said:

That number increases several times a day with definition updates.  you are fine.:)

Edited by Porthos