Vidsquare virus

I've had this virus for a while now, it's called vidsquare and at first it absolutely ruined my computer. It pops up ads and says they're powered by vidsquare. Luckily, I managed to stop the ads with Malwarebytes but remnants of the virus remain.  Basically it got rid of the "puppet-master " of it all which was a task in task manager called "Cshelper.exe". It did not manage to delete the rest of the virus. If you want logs from other programs besides malwarebytes, I have frst logs, adwCleaner logs (it found a few issues over and over but wasn't able to stop them.)  and rkill logs.(It only found cshelper.exe but wasn't able to stop it even though it thought it was.) The virus files appear to be located in C:\Users\*MyUser*\ApplicationData\Local\(three undeletable files call isbzrav, igfxmtc and serztdm). Isbzrav doesn't seem to be running task manager, I think it used to be, but igfxmtc.exe and serztdm.exe are both running and unstoppable. I've tried deleting or stopping the exe's in an elevated version of command prompt. Is it possible to remove the malware without using 2 computers? I looked for help on another forum but was told I needed two. In terms of malwarebytes, after clearing cshelper, and presumably some other files that were in some weird location, it now just finds a few PUPs or trojans and deletes them, running about twice a day. I just did a scan and it found nothing so I'll post the last scan that found malware as well as the first scan that 149 issues. LastScanThatFoundMalware.txt FirstMalwareScan.txt

Seeing as a lot of people on this forum are first told to use frst I will also attach a frst scan that I just ran. Addition_06-01-2018 15.34.47.txt FRST_06-01-2018 15.34.47.txt

Edited by PrussiaBall

• Root Admin

Hello @PrussiaBall and :welcome:

Let's go ahead and re-run these scans in the following order please.

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.

STEP 01

• If you're already running Malwarebytes 3 then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes 3 installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the Export Summary button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find, and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know on your next reply.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Copy its content into your next reply.

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

These logs are less than a week old dude, I'm not redownloading the programs and running them just for you to have a log that's less than a day old. If you read what I said, I said that Malwarebytes wasn't telling me that I had no issues. I can post a clean AdwCleaner scan if you want, but I'm not posting another FRST scan when I just gave you one and I'm not posting another Malwarebytes scan when it's just clean. Or I'll just post the same Frst Scan here you go: AdwCleaner[S4].txt 'New'FRSTScan.txt

• Root Admin

It's a matter of process not just blindly running logs.

If you don't wish to follow the provided procedures then you can open a ticket with our internal Helpdesk and see if they can assist you further.

I'm reasonably certain you're probably infected with the SmartService rootkit which takes specific methods to remove it but as you don't seem to want to follow advise it makes it difficult to help you.

Thank you

Ron

I've done every step you listed, I ran Malwarebytes and restarted the computer. I ran AdwCleaner and restarted the computer. I ran frst and restarted the computer. What more do you want. All i did is rename the logs, how are they invalid? What possibly could have happened to my computer to mess them up?

• Root Admin

Please do the following. You cannot do it from your current computer. You need access to a clean computer to remove this infection.

If your computer does not have the Windows Recovery Environment installed and available you can use the following method to run the Recovery Environment from a bootable USB disk.

NOTE: This USB disk needs to be created from a clean computer. You cannot use an infected computer for this process

NOTE: An 8GB USB 2.0 stick is required or at least recommended. In some cases a USB 3.0 disk can be used but some computers have issues booting from USB 3.0 disks.

Example drive (no endorsement implied, example only) - This drive example has not been tested by me. It is an older 2015 model with many good reviews though.
Amazon: Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 101 G2 USB 2.0 Flash Drive (DT101G2/8GBZ)
NewEgg: Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 101 G2 USB 2.0 Flash Drive (DT101G2/8GBZ)

STEP 1
Download a Windows 10 ISO image from Microsoft.

Method A: Using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
Download the Media Creation Tool: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Follow the instructions displayed on the tool to download the Windows 10 ISO image.

In my testing I was not prompted for a license key to download the latest Windows 10 ISO image.
At the time of this writing 2017/12/21 there was only one ISO image offered. Windows 10

32-bit x86  or  64-bit x64

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

Method B: If Method A: above is not working for you then you can try the following method
Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool (this is not an authorized Microsoft tool, but appears to be legal)
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool
Download: https://www.heidoc.net/php/Windows%20ISO%20Downloader.exe

STEP 2
If you were unable to use the Windows Media Creation Tool in STEP 1 to create a USB disk then you can use this tool to burn the Windows 10 ISO image from STEP 1 above.

Download the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool from Gitbub and save to your computer.
English version: https://github.com/mantas-masidlauskas/wudt/raw/master/Downloads/Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool-Installer-en-US.exe

Then install the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool and run it to burn a bootable USB disk from the ISO image. Browse to the location where you saved the Windows 10 ISO image in STEP 1
Note: This tool should work on XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 10 - it is simply used to make a bootable USB disk. Remember, all of this needs to be done on a clean computer.

MCWx4mf.jpg

5IvFX1o.jpg

1hzeggf.jpg

g1iLLSH.jpg

KkzebK6.jpg

STEP 3
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop or other location you know where it's saved to. Then copy it to the USB disk you just created.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

STEP 4
Shut down the infected computer. Do Not insert the USB disk you created until the infected computer has been shut down.
Once the computer is shut down then insert the newly created Windows 10 USB disk into the infected computer and power it back on and press the appropriate key to bring up the boot menu. The link below will help show you which key for various computers manufacturers is used to bring up the boot menu. Most will be either USB or UEFI depending on hardware and settings. If the computer boots up into the Normal Windows instead of the USB stick it may become infected and need to be completely redone again. Make sure you select the correct boot option.

How to Boot Your Computer from a USB Flash Drive

STEP 5
Once the computer starts to boot up from the USB disk, follow the screens and directions below.

Gvt31DC.jpg

wk8hs0E.jpg

F2gCAoF.jpg

X8NEEvb.jpg

You will need to open NOTEPAD.EXE to help find out which drive is your Windows drive and which drive is your USB disk drive you just created

O27kz3e.jpg

RRI6og4.jpg

For the more advanced user you could also use DISKPART to help locate which drive is mapped to your USB disk. In most cases the USB disk will be either D: or E: but depending on hardware the drive could be a much higher level such as H: or higher.

Example only - your hardware will look different

DISKPART> list volume
	  Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 0     Z                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media
  Volume 1     C                NTFS   Partition    931 GB  Healthy    System
  Volume 2     Q   SEA-USB-4.0  NTFS   Partition   3725 GB  Healthy
  Volume 3     D                NTFS   Removable   7636 MB  Healthy

Go back to the DOS Command Prompt (if you used DISKPART type in Exit and press the Enter key) and type in the following and press the Enter key.

CD /D  D: (or E: or whichever drive letter the USB stick is on)

Then type in CD\
and press the Enter key to get to the root or top of the USB disk.

Then type in FRST   or   FRST64  (depending on which version your computer uses) and click the Scan button.

A log called FRST.txt will be saved on your USB Flash Drive. Attach it in your next reply.

If all went well you should now be able to boot into Normal Mode and run Malwarebytes and run a Threat Scan to have it finish the removal process.

• Root Admin

Yes, that looks good. The rootkit was removed. If Malwarebytes did not find anything else that's good.

We should be all done here now, but if you do see something else let me know. Otherwise I'll go ahead and close your topic soon.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Ron