Malwarebytes V2 & Meltdown Patch

48 minutes ago, sheldon said:

Hi,

I am still running V2 of Malwarebytes.  I realize that the registry change does not apply.  However,  it is not clear if Microsoft's patch will have any issue with this version of Malwarebytes.

It will have no issue it is compatible. See link

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2297

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Ver 2 went end of life in dec 2016. You really need to be using 3.0. MB is only releasing database updates for the unknown future. 

Why are you still using ver 2??

My question: Will the meltdown patch from Microsoft be comparable with V2?  You said yes and then directed me to a website that did not really talk about V2.

Your question: Why I am still using V2?  
Answer:  From what I have read it is a resource hog.  After a year, looking at this forum there still appears to be many issues.  I would really like to update, but as you can see I have concerns.

Edited by sheldon

9 minutes ago, sheldon said:

After a year, looking at this forum there still appears to be many issues.  I would really like to update, but as you can see I have
concerns.

There are millions NOT having issues. The issues are NOT as bad as you think.  The protection in Ver 3 is vastly superior to ver 2.

9 minutes ago, sheldon said:

You said yes and then directed me to a website that did not really talk about V2.

Of course, it did not say anything about ver 2 because it is a discontinued product.  But I will tag a staff member to give you an official answer on compatibility.

@AdvancedSetup

Edited by Porthos

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Of course, it did not say anything about ver 2 because it is a discontinued product.  But I will tag a staff member to give you an official answer on compatibility

Thanks -I will be interested the "official" response on the V2 comparability

There are millions NOT having issues. The issues are NOT as bad as you think.  The protection in Ver 3 is vastly superior to ver 2.

What is the best way to upgrade to from V2 to V3?  I have seen several methods on the web. 

@AdvancedSetup

Edited by sheldon

5 minutes ago, sheldon said:

What is the best way to upgrade to from V2 to V3?  I have seen several methods on the web. 

Download the latest build from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

Run the new installer on top of your existing product. You don't need to uninstall anything. Restart the computer

• Root Admin

Hello @sheldon

Here is the current information you requested.

MBAM2 Version: v2018.01.04.06
MBAM3 Version: 1.0.3624
MB3 build contains patch for MS patch against meltdown/spectre
MB2 shouldn't be an issue

Fully agree with @Porthos in that the vast majority of users are able to run the 3.x version without an issue and it is far superior in protection than 2.x

If you'd like assistance in getting 3.x working on your system please let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you

Ron

4 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @sheldon

Here is the current information you requested.

MBAM2 Version: v2018.01.04.06
MBAM3 Version: 1.0.3624
MB3 build contains patch for MS patch against meltdown/spectre
MB2 shouldn't be an issue

Fully agree with @Porthos in that the vast majority of users are able to run the 3.x version without an issue and it is far superior in protection than 2.x

If you'd like assistance in getting 3.x working on your system please let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you

Ron

Thanks