Recycle bin corrupted after item quarantine

I installed Malwarebytes Premium Trial 3.3.1., did a run, found some old remnants of some malware deleted years ago and a bad file in my recycle bin. I quarantined all, but one file. Immediately my Recycle bin was corrupted.

In the meanwhile between doing the scan and quarantine, I emptied my recycle bin as I wanted to delete the file.

The would_be_problem file is no longer in my quarantine list.

Now windows wants me to delete my recycle bin/folder as it is corrupted. I want my recycle bin back. help please.

Recycle bin seems to be working now.

I have now followed the MS Windows instructions, regarding the recycle bin. I deleted the corrupted recycle bin, which needed admin creds. 2 files where deleted. Now my recycle bin seems to be working again. No more continuous  error messages stating corrupt recycle bin popping up.

I have gotten the logs, and I cannot see anything suspicious in them. The files found during my initial malware check were just some .ini files, remnants from when I was infected some years ago, and a file I knew was infected and promptly deleted/put in the recycle bin, which I manually deleted before accepting the quarantine of items. Still... if item in recycle bin is no longer found, malwarebytes should not corrupt the recycle bin.

• Root Admin

Hello @Nifel and :welcome:

I would suggest that you run a full disk check on the computer to endure that the drive and your data integrity is good.

From an elevated admin prompt you can issue the command

CHKDSK    C:   /R

Then press the Y key to say yes it's okay to run on reboot. Then reboot and let it run. Depending on the speed of your system it may take 10 minutes to run but on slower systems it can take many hours to complete.

If you like I can assist you scanning your system and checking your logs. Not saying you don't know what you're doing but I have over 25 years of experience doing computer support. Up to you though.

The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware

Thanks

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup

• 2 months later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks