Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, John L. Galt said:

I see the date of your updates - does MBES also have a version associated with the databases? 

in client side, we installed MBAM and MBAE. Our MBAM database is updated (v.2018.01.12.01) but the MBAM version is 1.80.1.1011. Are they are compatible with the Microsoft security patch released in early Jan/18 to against Spectre and Meltdown? Thanks.

Regards,

Dovelet

• Root Admin
13 hours ago, doveletchan said:

Hi,

Our computers are using Malwarebytes Endpoint Security (MBAM ver.1.80.1.1011 [Database: v2018.01.12.01]), AMAE ver. 1.10.2.41 - 1.11.2.55)). Please advise if they are compatible with the Microsoft security patch released in early Jan/18 to against Spectre and Meltdown. Thanks.

Regards,

Dovelet

Hello @doveletchan

We are currently updating a KB article to address customer issues regarding our products. Once that article is ready I will update this topic.

Thank you

Ron

Yeah.  I've been involved in a number of online discussions about the vulnerabilities, and I had posted the Google blog post about their fix to their servers with minimal impact.  But there is so much gloom and doom being spouted by the media that it is hard to get to the real facts, particularly when modern journalists (Ahem bloggers ahem) either focus only on partial information or are grossly negligent in reporting all the relevant facts.

On 1/12/2018 at 1:25 AM, doveletchan said:

in client side, we installed MBAM and MBAE. Our MBAM database is updated (v.2018.01.12.01) but the MBAM version is 1.80.1.1011. Are they are compatible with the Microsoft security patch released in early Jan/18 to against Spectre and Meltdown? Thanks.

Regards,

Dovelet

As far as being able to get the Microsoft security pacthes, our Malwarebytes software is not an impediment.

See https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/2018/01/meltdown-and-spectre-what-you-need-to-know/

(as of 1/04/18): ......, all Malwarebytes users are able to receive the Microsoft patch to mitigate Meltdown.

I'm still having some troubles downloading the Microsoft Update.  When I restart my computer it runs the update, restarts and then gets stuck in an auto-repair loop.  Keyboard and Mouse are nonresponsive.  The only way to get back up is to use a ISO UBS drive and run a repair.

I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor +5800 3.00 GHz.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  Thanks.

I found a way through Microsoft Support to temporarily block the update until I can get this resolved better.  Tired of having to unplug two exterior hard drives, wireless mouse and keyboard and having to use a ISO USB to do a repair every time I need to restart the computer.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:11 PM, TimNH said:

I'm still having some troubles downloading the Microsoft Update.  .........

I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor +5800 3.00 GHz.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  Thanks.

@TimNH   I do not see where you mentioned what OS version is on this pc.   Is it Windows 10 ?   which build version ?

There have been some glitches on AMD-based hardware.  MS for a while turned off the latest patch, and I believe has it turned back on.

There are several places to check on this;  but best at Microsoft.   Here is one resource link   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073290/unbootable-state-for-amd-devices-in-windows-10-version-1709

also

see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073707/windows-operating-system-security-update-for-amd-based-devices

Just as a general note.  There is a freeware utility called InSpectre by Steve Gibson from Gibson Research. It can display a summary status about the OS and processor hardware status.
It can check the OS for the patch status as to Meltdown.  The status of hardware vulnerability to Spectre.  And if you have the Meltdown patches, it will rate the performance of the system if patches have been applied.
See all the details at https://grc.com/inspectre.htm

I am uninstalling Malwarebytes 3.3.0 or somesuch version -- It is hogging my computer and I can't get anything done.  This has never happened before.  Yesterday I had Bell Fibe internet installed, but can't think of any reason that would be a problem.  Gaffer from Canada.  Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Gaffer,

I'm about  to make a report for the exact same problem.  I'll link back to it here, if you want to follow along 9and perhaps even help troubleshoot on your machine as well).

What I found was that the MBService ate all my available RAM and brought my system to a standstill.

And yes, this is hte wrong thread for that, so on to the thread I am creating for it - link shortly.

26 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I am uninstalling Malwarebytes 3.3.0 or somesuch version -- It is hogging my computer and I can't get anything done.  This has never happened before.  Yesterday I had Bell Fibe internet installed, but can't think of any reason that would be a problem.  Gaffer from Canada.  Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Actually, already been mentioned by staff.

See

From the Neowin article:

The patches aimed at mitigating Variant 2 (Spectre) of the three vulnerabilities revealed by Google's Project Zero were causing systems to crash unexpectedly for a number of users. While the company had initially started by only warning some of its larger customers to refrain from installing the patches, it soon extended that advice to all users, promising a fix was on the way.

Do note that the Out of Band update that Microsoft is pushing only applies to those users who actually have the faulty patch and are experiencing the increased / random reboots - if you're not, you don' have to install (but, if you have been patched for Spectre, then you might consider it, as data loss is a possible scenario every time thees reboots occur).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 10:01 AM, pupbuster said:

Microsoft has released an emergency patch aiming at Intel's buggy patch for Spectre, and Windows users can manually download from Microsoft Update Catalog website.

update :

hxxps://www.iobit.com/en/tips-microsoft-releases-emergency-patch-after-intel's-to-fix-spectre-problem-116.php

I'm glad I held off on installing any microcode/firmware patches.  It's best to be patient than risk installing buggy patches. 

• 2 months later...