Malware infection keeps returning

Since couple of days ago, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (paid version) keeps warning me about malware infection.

It says something like, that and that is scanned and safe to use, and then another pop-up saying infection found. It is also telling me that I have new apps that have not been scanned yet, but I have not installed any new apps.

So, I perform a scan. It finds 1 infection. I select to remove it. It says application successfully uninstalled. Then some other window appears that shows me some "recommand apps" (very dodgy). I did not tap on anything in that window (named "cordova"), just closed it. Then, Malwarebytes does not detect anything.

One day later, it all starts to happen again.

One time my phone got stuck, I barely managed to reboot it. It could be caused by that malware.

My phone is Cubot Note S with stock Android 6.0, and Malwarebytes app is version 3.1.1.13

Screenshot_20180102-125454.png

Screenshot_20180103-141859.png

Screenshot_20180104-194853.png

Screenshot_20180104-194953.png

Screenshot_20180104-195007.png

It got stuck at "Preparing to scan" and it is showing red?

I have rebooted, and after a scan it found 2 malware. It says I need to remove them manually. But I can not find those files. And I don't know if I have given Malwarebytes all the permissions as requested. Please see screenshots and please tell me how to remove this.

Screenshot_20180105-121701.png

Screenshot_20180105-121710.png

Screenshot_20180105-123407.png

Screenshot_20180105-123426.png

Screenshot_20180105-123529.png

Hi @Slobodan,

It appears that something is re-installing these apps.  If you can send us a list of of your apps via our Apps Report we can look further into this.

To send an Apps Report with Malwarebytes for Android use the following instructions.

1.Open the Malwarebytes for Android app.

2.Tap the Menu icon.

3. Tap Your apps.

4. Tap three lines icon in upper right corner.

5. Tap Send to support

Choose an email app to send Apps Report.

Your email app will open with the Apps Report included. Send the Apps Report to create a ticket.

Nathan

Thank you. I have sent it, as per instructions.

My phone is becoming unusable because of this malware. Today, I had to reboot it a few times, and last time I had to take the battery out in order to reboot it. Even now, it is very slow, as if malware is using processor at 100%.

I hope you can help me fix this, because I had already had to flash my phone few months ago because of malware, and then I bought this antivirus for protection. :(

Edit: While following your instructions, in Malwarebytes app in installed apps menu, I have noticed 4 suspicious apps with green android icons. I have not installed them myself, so I have deleted them. Now the phone is responsive again.

Edited by Slobodan

Once a day, these 4 or 5 malware apps get installed (same as in previous screenshots). Malwarebytes anti-ransomwhare protection then immediately scans them and says they are safe to use, but then it says one or two malware found. Then I just go to malwarebytes app, installed apps and uninstall them. But they return every day. :/

While I was in Aliexpress app, in top status bar there was some glitching (like the notifications appearing, but invisible - or like something was downloading), and then this (first screenshot) appeared. They I ran a scan, and it found 24 malware (the highest number so far).

I wanted to ask, if this is a bug? It says that those files can not be removed and I have to remove them manually (third screenshot). But then, after I ran another scan it finds nothing, and in fourth screenshot you can see it says 24 out of 24 where removed. So, is it a bug that it says it can not remove them, or is it a bug when it says that they are removed?

Also, malware had opened Play Store on its own and took me to this app (5th screenshot).

And, before all of this (in this reply), I have installed Virus Total app, that scans all apps on the phone and compares the signatures of the various anti-virus programs. It only said that one app had some infection - 4 anti-virus programs think at least (6th screenshot). I have uninstalled that app, but still have this problems.

Screenshot_20180111-173632.png

Screenshot_20180111-173949.png

Screenshot_20180111-174035.png

Screenshot_20180111-174435.png

Screenshot_20180111-174526.png

Screenshot_20180111-124852.png

Edited by Slobodan

Hi @Slobodan,

You mentioned that you flashed your phone with a custom ROM.  I think what's going on here is that the ROM contained malware, and may have put them at the system level.  If this is the case, we can't remove.  This is considered preinstalled malware, which is becoming more of an issue -> Mobile Menace Monday: Preinstalled adware and sometimes worse.

Nathan

I have sent app report again. Sorry for "SPAM", but can you please check if com.systems.apps.build2 is malware or not? It is listed under installed apps, installed (not by me) on 13.01.2018. And it is not detected as malware by the Malwarebytes scanner.

Edit: Actually, it says updated on 13.01.2018. So, it could be that it was installed (again, not by me) a day or two before.

Edit 2: Support ticket number is 2193404

Edited by Slobodan

• 1 month later...

Wow. It could be Cubot related (to their ROM). But could only be a coincidence. Who would know. I was not able to fix it.

I no longer use official Cubot ROM. I use a custom ROM now. For my Note S, I use ColtOS 1.4 (Android 7.1.2). If you want to switch to custom ROM too, check out what it is available for your phone on NEEDROM website.