Get rid of Open Any Files: RAR Support

I am on a MacBook Pro running 10.13.4.  I had downloaded "Open Any Files: RAR Support" to try and get some old files opened.  It became very annoying when it tried to open every file I used.  I thought I uninstalled it, however it continued to show up whenever I tried to open .pdf files, .txt files, .rtf files... ANY and ALL files.   searched my computer for anything associated with it but didn't really know what to look for as nothing showed up in a search for the obvious "Open Any Files".  I ran my Malwarebyes Premium and also a full scan on Norton's without any problems showing up.

Reading your discussion with Rocky Sand Studio gave me a clue and a search for "rocky" found a file called:  2N35YUC83U.com.rockysandstudio.RSSAppKit  in: HD/users/Myside/Library/Group Containers/2N35YUC83U.com.rockysandstudio.RSSAppKit.  After moving it to the trash, I had no further problems.  Attached you will find it in a zipper form.

I would be interested in hearing any possible explanations as to why such a file would cause the program to continue to function after all other associated files seemed to be uninstalled.

NDDonna

2N35YUC83U.com.rockysandstudio.RSSAppKit.zip

• Staff

Removal of that item wouldn't actually solve the problem. The only thing in there is a single preference file.

As a guess, I'd say that you probably did something like delete something else, empty the trash, etc around the same time, which would have solved the problem.

• 2 months later...

Well - Open Any File is still on iTunes and it is the first App displayed for opening files.  I downloaded it yesterday and also found that, rather than open my file, I was to scan the file with Dr. Antivirus.  I didn't really understand why, but I followed instructions only to find that I still cold not open any files.  I searched for where I could obtain help, iTunes or the author, without success.  Then I found your discussion here and immediately got rid of both of the Apps.  Unfortunately, I only have the free version of Malwarebytes on my computer but I ran a scan and it appears that I am clean.

Now I need a recommendation for an App to open files on my MacBook Pro.  I do have the Microsoft package on my Mac and use Word and Excel.  I usually don't have problems opening files but I have several now.  I also need to get te upgraded version of Malwarebytes.  I upgraded last year and then I had to replace my MacBook Pro and didn't have access to all my software and Apps like Malwarebytes.  i tried to straighten it out several months ago but never finished doing so.  The easiest thing to do might be to just upgrade again.

How do we get iTunes to remove Open Any File?  I will try contacting Apple. 

2 hours ago, JoanS said:

How do we get iTunes to remove Open Any File?  I will try contacting Apple. 

I wish I knew how. I reported it several months ago, but nothing has been done. I’m sure the more reports received, the better the chances of it being removed.

• Staff
16 hours ago, JoanS said:

Now I need a recommendation for an App to open files on my MacBook Pro.

There's no single answer to that question. It depends on the file. Different file types require different applications to open them, and many of those file types may require apps that are not available on the App Store. What are the extensions on the files you're trying to open? (An extension is something at the end of the file name like ".txt", ".pdf", ".docx", etc. You may need to select the file and then choose Get Info from the File menu to see the extension, depending on your system settings.)