How to automatically check for updates.

I would really like for Malwarebytes to automatically update.  I really hate clicking that "Check for updates" button once a day.  Is there any way to automatically update or schedule an update only without doing a scan? 

I've tried scheduling a scan at a set time each day and checked "check for updates" but sometimes my computer is not on during this time.  I would really prefer to update without doing a scan.  The thing is I don't want scans to run while I'm gaming or doing something resource intensive.  My only option seems to be to do a hyper scan once every couple of hours.  I've tried setting a hyper scan "on reboot" but most days I just do a cold boot and don't really need to reboot.  I use my computer at different times each day so it's kind of hard to set an exact time where I know I won't be doing something resource intensive.  

I guess this is not really a problem for most people that can set a time where they know their PC will be on and they won't be doing anything resource intensive, but that time is different for me every day.

29 minutes ago, epikurous said:

I use my computer at different times each day

By default MB checks for updates every hour the computer is on and not sleeping.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

8 minutes ago, epikurous said:

I'm just wondering if there is a way to automatically check for updates without doing a scan.  

This was the answer.

30 minutes ago, Porthos said:

By default MB checks for updates every hour the computer is on and not sleeping.

The logs were for me to see your update settings.

15 minutes ago, epikurous said:

Alright I've attached the logs, thanks for your help.

You are on a really old version. "installer_version" : "3.0.6",

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product .

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed. If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3

Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

5 minutes ago, epikurous said:

I still get the orange triangle on the malwarebytes icon

Have you run a scan since you did the clean install, Warning will be there till you do.

5 minutes ago, epikurous said:

Is this setting to just check for updates or to update? 

Both, It only updates when there is one available. 

Edited by Porthos