New Malwarebytes Blue Screened my Computer Upon Scanning

As the title suggests, I updated Malwarebytes to version 3.12? or something of the sort, the exact number was very long so I can’t remember it off the top of my head. I downloaded it from the old app after a scan a few minutes ago, a yellow/orange box saying it was out of date, even though below it said it was up to date below it. He new download erased the old version from the computer, and started off in premium mode. It looked completely different from the old version. When I started scanning, it crashed and blue screened when searching for root kits. 

Please tell me if the download was legitimate and what I should do to fix it. I am kind of scared of turning on the computer for fear I’ll mess something up, so be very thorough with any directions you give me. Thank you.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

You can get advice on the legitimacy of your download by posting here:  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-3/

As for the BSOD's - I'd like to see these reports to help with diagnosing them:

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum):  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/170037-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities.
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Edited by usasma

I'm was having a similar issue. I could run a scan in safe mode no problem, came up with zero errors. In normal boot it would BSOD during the file system scan. Win 10 latest updates.

The reasons are all over the map.

Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x5, 0xC, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801AD4E590C)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFC280B7981B30, 0xFFFFB907C1633A21, 0xFFFFF8034CF9F6C0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x4, 0xFFFFF803BA2DF840, 0xFFFFF803BA2DF798, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

I was also having BSODs during playing games. Some games exhibiting the problem more than others. My notebook has an i7 7700K and GTX 1080, Win 10 Pro. http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-16l-g-1080-custom-built-gaming-desktop-replacement-laptop.html

The reason I installed MBAM was to check to see if I had malware or a rootkit by some chance. 

I started trying to isolate what the problem could be by testing and changing things one at a time (typical debugging 101..).  The whole problem turned out to be the latest Intel drivers for my 8265 WiFi adapter. Recalled installing those sometime in the last month or so. I uninstalled them and just let Win 10 use the ones that are in it's own driver package. 

My gaming BSODs are gone (one game in particular would BSOD every 10-15 minutes, it's lasted over an hour now) and I can now get through multiple MBAM scan runs with no issue as well. 

Beware the latest 8265 WiFi drivers in Intel's download section, YMMV on those, mine did. :)

Edited by oden