"Protections Off" Notifications - please let us keep some, ditch some

Hi Malwarebytes peoples,

I prefer to turn off Web Protection but still use other protection modules. This causes a secondary safety problem as described by Malwarebytes' online help:

Some users intentionally turn off one or more components of real-time protection. Users may now disable notifications that components have been turned off. Please note that as a result of this setting, users will be unable to receive notifications regarding real-time protection failures in the event of program malfunction.

This all-or-nothing approach creates either danger (if I disable notifications for all protection types) or coercion (if I must restore Web Protection for the sake of meaningful warnings of other types of protection failures).

Please let us (optionally) tick off which protection modules should send notifications and alter the appearance of the system tray icon. Competing products (some, anyway) offer this choice. It would be nice -- and safer -- if Malwarebytes AntiMalware did too.

Edited by Eeek-Its_A_Cranky_Customer

1 hour ago, Eeek-Its_A_Cranky_Customer said:

I prefer to turn off Web Protection but still use other protection modules.

Why do you want to reduce the effectiveness of Malwarebytes?  Web Protection is very important part of the actual protection.

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Why do you want to reduce the effectiveness of Malwarebytes?  Web Protection is very important of the actual protection.

I realized that I have web-protection-overkill: Malwarebytes' protection, Firefox's built-in protection, and -- most of all -- my own micromanagement of browser permissions via user.js, umatrix, and ublock origin. I decided to see if my (already fast) browser was any faster after removing two layers of protection. The problem of Malwarebytes' inflexible notifications was soon apparent.

So far -- and this is as likely to be placebo as real -- my browsing experience feels faster. There's a pause between clicking a link and the moment that a page begins to load. The pause seems to be halved since I turned off Firefox Safe-Browsing and Malwarebytes' Web Protection. Browsing just feels a little snappier. I'll have to switch back after a few days or a week. Maybe repeat the process. I don't have a means of measurement.

For now, I'm relying on blocklists for known malware, malvertising, & tracking domains; filter lists to process content; umatrix to grant fine-grained permissions; and sites like urlvoid.com, virustotal.com, and mywot.com to aid those decisions. Maybe I'm being foolhardy. I don't know.

Edited by Eeek-Its_A_Cranky_Customer

15 minutes ago, Eeek-Its_A_Cranky_Customer said:

Maybe I'm being foolhardy. I don't know.

It also blocks the payload downloads that are not always part of the above-mentioned block lists.  Disabling it is like driving a car with only 3 wheels.

2 hours ago, Eeek-Its_A_Cranky_Customer said:

Please let us (optionally) tick off which protection modules should send notifications and alter the appearance of the system tray icon.

It has already been suggested for a future build.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 7:02 PM, Porthos said:

It has already been suggested for a future build.

That's what you all said back in January.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/195091-how-about-a-ver-3x-without-the-bloatware/?tab=comments#comment-1100640

You all promised it and yet it's now December and being able to select what modules we can turn on or off is still not available.