Incomplete Startup, computer locking up a lot

rosebud

Let me start by saying that I have run both a boot time Avast scan, a Malwarebytes scan, and a startlite cleanup and all found no major issues.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop duel core processor running XP. I had to wipe and reload the OS this past spring because of a serious invasion of viruses.

About two weeks ago, I installed the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. Ever since, the browser locks up frequently, and when I open it, it cannot restore my previous session. I would like to disable the session restore option anyway, but don't know how.

Then, I am also having trouble with startups. My computer will star windows, then lock up before startup is complete and I can't do anything but manually turn it off and start over. So I do that, and sometimes it starts up the second time just fine, and sometimes it takes several attempts before it starts up completely.

So, is this issue likely related to the new version of Mozilla, to problems with the OS or is my hard drive causing errors?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello rosebud,

Here are some articles I would recommend you study and follow:

See Quietman7's Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

See Miekiemoes' Help! My computer is slow!

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem...owcomputer.html

HTH

Thanks. I will have a look at these links, but my issue isn't that the computer is slow so much as it just flat won't load! Windows loads about half way and freezes. I have to manually turn it off and on as many as five times before it loads properly. Sometimes I get an error message that says

MBAM terminated unexpectedly"

Is it the MBAM?? This only started happening after I downloaded the latest version of firefox. Are the two related?

As an aside, I have MBAM version 1.40 and Firefox 3.5.2 and have no issues.

Did you get FF vers 3.5.2 ? Did your system have an older version of FF?

But that aside, Firefox should not be starting with Windows anyway.

Your earlier note indicated you had an on & off issue with Windows startup. One assumed you could eventually get to a "stable" Windows, in which case the 2 articles and follow-up on them would be helpful to you.

Can you re-try getting Windows to start and un-installing Firefox?

and also try setting system so it produces a boot log..... this applies ONLY to Windows XP

From Start menu, select RUN then type in to the text box

MSCONFIG

and press Enter

Next, click on the tab BOOT.ini

Look at the Boot Options block

Make sure that Safeboot and Network are clear (NOT selected)

If there is something checked (with a tickmark) let me know which.

I DO want you to check the box /BOOTLOG

Apply and press OK. Restart the system.

Now try to start in Normal mode.

The Bootlog option will have Windows posting the processes that start as Windows is loading.

The log may prove useful.

If no go, reboot system again, then let's have you get the contents of the bootlog file NTBTLOG.TXT which will be in your C:\Windows folder (or C:\WINNT some systems) and post a copy here.

And tell me if your MBAM was purchased (if so, that would indicate to me you should have active protection module)

I will certainly do as you suggest here in the morning when I am fresher. I do think my computer could use a good cleaning as well, but am wary of doing it myself.

The MBAM is purchased. I will perform your suggestions tomorrow and post the results. :D

As an aside, I have MBAM version 1.40 and Firefox 3.5.2 and have no issues.

Did you get FF vers 3.5.2 ? Did your system have an older version of FF?

But that aside, Firefox should not be starting with Windows anyway.

Your earlier note indicated you had an on & off issue with Windows startup. One assumed you could eventually get to a "stable" Windows, in which case the 2 articles and follow-up on them would be helpful to you.

Can you re-try getting Windows to start and un-installing Firefox?

and also try setting system so it produces a boot log..... this applies ONLY to Windows XP

From Start menu, select RUN then type in to the text box

MSCONFIG

and press Enter

Next, click on the tab BOOT.ini

Look at the Boot Options block

Make sure that Safeboot and Network are clear (NOT selected)

If there is something checked (with a tickmark) let me know which.

I DO want you to check the box /BOOTLOG

Apply and press OK. Restart the system.

Now try to start in Normal mode.

The Bootlog option will have Windows posting the processes that start as Windows is loading.

The log may prove useful.

If no go, reboot system again, then let's have you get the contents of the bootlog file NTBTLOG.TXT which will be in your C:\Windows folder (or C:\WINNT some systems) and post a copy here.

And tell me if your MBAM was purchased (if so, that would indicate to me you should have active protection module)

Some people have had computer startup issues related to MBAM protection since V1.40 came out. There is a discussion about delaying the startup of MBAM protection here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21073 .

I've had crashing issues with Firefox 3.5.1 & 2 when switching to some secured sites (primarily financial), but I believe they were related to Norton 360. Symantec released a major update last week which seems to have resolved the issues with Firefox crashes. I suggest that you look at the Firefox (Mozilla) forums for crash info. There wasn't a lot of activity regarding crashes when I was looking a couple of weeks ago.