Can Malwarebytes replace an antivirus?

My ESET NOD32 is about to expire and I was wondering if I purchased Malwarebytes for the added benefits will I still need an anti virus software? I mean all of the bugs I've caught slipped by my different antivirus software and Malware was the only thing that could scan and clean them off.

I love this program and the people offer amazing support.

Let me know what you guys think! ;)

-Fred

My ESET NOD32 is about to expire and I was wondering if I purchased Malwarebytes for the added benefits will I still need an anti virus software? I mean all of the bugs I've caught slipped by my different antivirus software and Malware was the only thing that could scan and clean them off.

I love this program and the people offer amazing support.

Let me know what you guys think! :)

-Fred

Hi and welcome to the forum ;)

You will still need an AV. MBAM is meant to run alongside your AV and catch the nasty stuff that your AV misses. It does NOT replace your AV. NOD32 is an excellent choice. However, If you are looking for a free AV, then I would recommend Avira

Hi,

thanks for purchasing MBAM.

MalwareBytes is defined as an anti-malware program : it detects and removes malwares, that it to say malicious programs and files that some antivirus don't detect or can't fully remove.

You can (and should) have an antimalware program as well as a resident antivirus protection. Both are complementary, even if some malwares are detected by antivirus, and some virus can be detecteed by antimalware programs. Both database types are different and don't look for the same things, there are common detections, but the common part is not really substantial.

Where an antivirus stops detecting things, an antimalware program will take over.

Hi,

thanks for purchasing MBAM.

MalwareBytes is defined as an anti-malware program : it detects and removes malwares, that it to say malicious programs and files that some antivirus don't detect or can't fully remove.

You can (and should) have an antimalware program as well as a resident antivirus protection. Both are complementary, even if some malwares are detected by antivirus, and some virus can be detecteed by antimalware programs. Both database types are different and don't look for the same things, there are common detections, but the common part is not really substantial.

Where an antivirus stops detecting things, an antimalware program will take over.

That makes sense. So having an anti malware is like the second line of defense, not as strong and big but good enough to pick off those that sneak through. So time to renew my NOD32 then! :3

Thanks!

That makes sense. So having an anti malware is like the second line of defense, not as strong and big but good enough to pick off those that sneak through. So time to renew my NOD32 then! :3

Thanks!

Exactly, they work together.

Nod32 is (as far as I know), a good product.

• Staff

The main body of research for MBAM gives priority to antivirus failures and this is the reason for our massive popularity , we intentionally excel when traditional AV software is not that strong .

Using MBAM with any good AV will give you very solid layered protection .

Also keep in mind that it is always bad to have a single security solution as it gives you a single point of failure , a single infection or bug could knock all of your protection out all at once . With layered protection it is far less likely that an event (malicious or otherwise) will cripple your defense .

Awesome! Thanks for all the support. I love this product and like I said before the Support and community is just awesome. Thank you for the Avira link as well. I will give that a try and see how it affects my systems performance compared to ESET Nod32.

Once again, thank you! ;)

Awesome! Thanks for all the support. I love this product and like I said before the Support and community is just awesome. Thank you for the Avira link as well. I will give that a try and see how it affects my systems performance compared to ESET Nod32.

Once again, thank you! :)

You're very welcome! :)

Ps. Avira is very light on resources ;)