Hi -About Malwarebytes

So, a while back , on my new iMac, I visited an adult site for the first (and last time) and picked up some malware it seems. I downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes, and everything was cleared. Now , when I do the scan, it says, "Congratulations, you are clean!" Does this mean, that my computer is completely virus and malware free? I heard that Malwarebytes should work alongside an anti virus system, But I have none and have no anti-virus on my iMac. If I understood correctly, I may be malware free but what about viruses? Please advise. I hope when it says I am clean that it refers to everything harmful - from malware to viruses, and anything bad for the computer. Is this accurate? Please advise. 

Also, Just yesterday, I downloaded and installed Ghostery and AdBlock Ultimate as I was advised to do so. I have a suspicion that those programs have slowed down my computer, or will slow my computer down. One thing that happens, is, after I downloaded both Ghostery and AdBlock, when I press the scan button on the Malwarebytes program, it takes significantly  longer to scan the computer, whereas before, when I didn't have Ghostery and AdBlock, the scan took much quicker.

Please advise. Thank you.

• Staff

Malware is a term that covers all malicious software, including viruses. Malwarebytes for Mac detects malware, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).

Ghostery and AdBlock Ultimate cannot slow down your whole computer, as they only operate within Safari. The decreased scan times are due to the fact that installing browser extensions gives Malwarebytes for Mac something additional to examine during a scan.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 11:37 PM, treed said:

Malware is a term that covers all malicious software, including viruses. Malwarebytes for Mac detects malware, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).

Ghostery and AdBlock Ultimate cannot slow down your whole computer, as they only operate within Safari. The decreased scan times are due to the fact that installing browser extensions gives Malwarebytes for Mac something additional to examine during a scan.

Hi treed, sorry for the late response. And thank you for writing back to me. Are you saying that Ghostery and AdBlock won't slow down my computer but may slow down Safari? I want to be certain that they won't slow my computer down - I don't really mind if they slow down my internet browser.

Also, I  hope, when it says "Congratulations, you are clean!" after I scan with Malwarebytes (free), that I am in the clear and am completely virus and malicious software free.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:39 PM, treed said:

Actually, having software in your browser to block ads and trackers will probably speed up loading of pages in your browser.

When Malwarebytes gives you the "Congratulations, you are clean" message, that does mean that it has not detected any kind of malicious software.

Sorry, I just want to be thorough and assured, but  does that mean when it says 'congratulations you are clean' that my iMac is completely fine? Also is it 100% true that ghostly and Adblock does not slow down my computer at all. I intend on taking my iMac to the store I bought it from for a check up and to make sure everything is just fine with my iMac, as I have three years guarantee anyway. I got my iMac for music production.  Thanks again treed, (and yes I admit, I am paranoid regarding my iMac).

• 2 weeks later...