Windows can not find antivirus software on this computer.

Reeder

Hi-

Several issues:

1) The computer I'm using sent me a message, "Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer."  However, I'm current with Malwarebytes.  So,...I'm confused.  Do I have an antivirus program or not?

2) A year ago, I never had any weird virus issues, & when I hit 'scan' the program would display the progress it was making, & report the files that were suspect, & I would (I forget the term) disable them.    Then, after that, about a year ago, when I hit 'scan' (I now need to right click the icon & choose the 'Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware'), there is no display of progress, or report, & every now & then, a certain program takes over & actually says in a seductive feminine voice that I need to log on to a certain website, or all of my files will be destroyed (or words to that effect).  I think it's a virus, & I keep hitting cancel, exit, & eventually a popup asks me if I really want to leave the page, & I say yes, & the whole internet explorer window exits, seemingly normally, & I re-launch the explorer program.  I'll wait to hear from you.  (I'm assuming this will be read by the Malwarebytes people.)

Thank you very much.

-Rich Reeder,

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed email from post

• Root Admin

Hello @Reeder and :welcome:

Let's get some logs to see what's going on please.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

8 hours ago, Reeder said:

However, I'm current with Malwarebytes. 

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.1.1043

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product .

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed. If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3

Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

Porthos:  Thanks.  I followed instructions, & now when I run a scan, I get the display that tells me what it is doing, & also generates a report.  I'll assume that Malwarebytes is operational on this computer.  I do not have information about the sultry voiced virus, but if she comes back, I'll let you know.  Ditto the notification about not finding an anti-virus program.  Thanks again.  Let me know if there is anything else to do.  -Rich Reeder, 1330.FRI.1.DEC.2017(MST)

Edited by Reeder

• Root Admin

Le's go ahead and scan your system just to make sure nothing odd is found there.

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.

STEP 01

• If you're already running Malwarebytes 3 then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes 3 installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the Export Summary button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find, and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know on your next reply.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Copy its content into your next reply.

RESTART THE COMPUTER before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

Step 1 went ok, step 2 went ok, computer restart went ok, I got to step 3, to the "Press the Scan button. " part, the application was doing it's thing, then it stopped, & a popup said that it wasn't working, & do I want Microsoft to help find a solution, etc., I said yes, we went back & forth with more popups, finally got back to the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool page.  Did not run again.  Attaching files created recently.  I'll wait to hear from you.  Thanks.  -Rich Reeder, 0942.SAT.2.DEC.2017(MST)

Addition.txt

AdwCleaner[S0]20171202.0910.txt

FRST.txt