Jump to content
Monstercat

Malwarebytes thinks google chrome is malware

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have been a Malwarebytes user for about 3 years now I have not been disappointed until now. I decided to do one of my occasional PC scans and for some reason, Google chrome got flagged up immediately. according to Malwarebytes, the file is called "Web Data". something else that's odd is that Malwarebytes refuses to touch it. I had deleted the file manually and malware bytes had not detected anything else but google chrome had signed me out of my account. signing back in and re-scanning had bought the false positive back. this issue also occurs in my college notebook as seen in the images.

Is there a solution to this that does not involve having to be kept signed out of google chrome. I don't want frequent popups saying I have malware when it's quite clearly a false positive.

1. Main PC

Capture.thumb.PNG.6781d490408de7673a044f5f0ffee831.PNG

2. College Notebook 

5a15c872af377_Capturelaptop.thumb.PNG.7c4ff09a3b4a8ad021d14262fed6cb5c.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Monstercat,

Are you still with me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Aura said:

Hi Monstercat,

Are you still with me?

Yeah sorry, I forgot to reply. I tried this method and it does work. I would like to still sync my history and bookmarks with my phone. Now I can't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you mean by "you can't"? Did you enable the sync back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Aura said:

What do you mean by "you can't"? Did you enable the sync back?

I read through the article and tried each step in the exact order. I disconnected my Google account on all devices, and scanned all my device for malware. I reconnected my account on each device 1 by 1 and malwarebytes still thinks I have malware. I just gave up and disconnected my account on all devices because I spent a good 4 or 5 hours on this and it wasn't worth my time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's take this one step at the time :) Now, even though the step was listed as "optional" in the thread, did you delete all the websites under the "Other search engines" section?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Aura said:

Let's take this one step at the time :) Now, even though the step was listed as "optional" in the thread, did you delete all the websites under the "Other search engines" section?

Hi, thanks for replying. I seemed to have found the solution

I don't exactly know what fixed it but what I did was,

I took the optional steps in the forum you linked me then I cleared my browsing history, cache and cookies. I then went ahead and deleted all my extensions and some old bookmarks. I scanned for malware and it came back cleaner than a nuns hard drive. 

I applied the same steps to my 2 other machines and I now have no issues. Thanks for your help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see that your issue has been solved Monstercat! The key step here was mostly likely to follow the optional steps.

If the issue ever come back, feel free to send me a PM and I'll re-open your thread.

Stay safe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.