Another STOP c000021a issue

CountZero

Hi,

I ran MBAM to root out a google redirect issue and it did find 11 malware programs. In order to get MBAM to run I had to rename it winlogin.exe. Mbam was not able to remove all of the malware but said it would fix the problems on the next start up. I rebooted and got this:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The windows logon process system process terminated unexpecantly with a status of 0xc0000022 (0x0000000 0x00000000).

The system shut down.

From another thread on this site, I tried the Avira program but that will not reboot the machine. It's a Dell inspirion 6400 laptop running windows XT Home sp3.

I've also tried all of the other safe boot options.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Brian

Hi and welcome to the forum! ;)

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?

2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

* Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.

* Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.

* Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.

* If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.

* Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.

* There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

* NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

@CountZero

Please be more specific about the "Safe" mode options you have tried.

Safe mode?

Safe Mode with Networking ?

If you have not tried both, please retry.

As a later resort, try selecting "Last Known Good".

On the STOP C000021a error: It may be that 1 of your boot files has been

corrupted, or perhaps, worse, your system registry.

Set your pc BIOS boot sequence to boot from CDROM , reboot from XP CD, login as

Administrator or with admin-rights into the Recovery Console.

See this Microsoft article, and scan down to "how to use Recovery Console".

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

While in there, run "CHKDSK C: /P" on your system, then repeat chkdsk for

each of your drives.

If you ARE able to login to Recovery Console, that's an excellent sign; and then running CHKDSK (as above) should be enough. Next, exit out of Recovery Console; remove CD. Reboot pc & login to XP.

If no success, repeat the Recovery Console & look for some files.

I'm presuming here, that you know a little bit on how to use a "Command prompt" session (somewhat similar to DOS).

Do a DIR to look for the next 3 files. Then do a "TYPE BOOT.INI" to list its contents onscreen.

Take a look at your XP system drive ---the root folder (usually C:\ )---take a

look at presence & contents of Boot.INI file, and the presence of a couple

of others, NTLDR , NTDETECT.COM.

Take a good look at BOOT.INI file.

P.S. Lacking a working Windows session, you won't be able to make use of standard procedures in the Malware Removal sub-forum. This fatal STOP error must be resolved first.