Installation problems; runtime error at 352:120

Hello. I tried to udpate my father's old computer with Malware Bytes 3 (mb3-setup-consumer-3.3.1.2183.exe). When trying to install, after selecting the language, it fails with a "Runtime error (at 352:120): Invalid floating point operation."

The PC had a much older version which I removed using "mb-clean-3.1.0.1031.exe". Ran it as administrator per some instructions on another post. This prompted a reboot and installation of the new MB 3. When it failed with above error, I think another message popped up with instructions to grab the file created on my desktop: mb-clean-results.txt. File attached. 

I read that MBAM 3 still supports PCs on Windows XP. Here is the XP info from the PC: Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

The PC is an eMachines T3092 with AMD Athalon XP 3000+ 2.17 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM

Any advice on how to load MB 3 would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Rick

mb-clean-results.txt

3 hours ago, hpp said:

Any advice on how to load MB 3 would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  3. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  4. Press the "Scan" button
  5. This will product two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  6. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  7. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  8. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  9. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  10. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Hello @hpp

Few things to look into--

1. Do you have your temp directory setup on a RAMDisk? If so, move the temp location back to the C drive and re-try installation.
  2. Try running mb-clean again in case everything was not cleaned up, and attempt to install Malwarebytes in SafeMode. If it does install, do a scan with rootkit scanning enabled, just for safety measures.
  3. Check date and time on the computer as well, I see some errors with Windows Updates that may be due to wrong date and time, although may be unrelated here, but good practice to have proper date and time so certificates and system updates are functioning. (although there may not be any to install due to this being Windows XP)

Hi.

1/ I don't have a RAM disk setup.

2a/ I ran mb-clean again. The log file is attached. It says that MB is not installed. MB-clean-results file attached.

2b/I tried installing MB in SafeMode. I received the 352:120 runtime error again after selecting the language.

3/ I checked the date and time. It is accurate in the system tray and is set to get time off of the internet. Is there another system time I should be checking?

Thanks for your support.

Rick

mb-clean-results.txt

@hpp

I am seeing a few registry entries that don't look normal. Delete the following registry keys, make sure to back them up first, just in case. 

1. Open the Registry Editor (Start > Run > type in "regedit" > OK)
  2. Navigate up to the "Classes" folder.
  3. To back up, right-click on "Classes" folder in registry and hit "Export", name the file and store it somewhere safe on the hard drive where it can be found in case it is needed again.
  4. Delete the following 4 keys, reboot and try to install again. (Make sure not to delete the "Classes" folder but the "exefile" entries)

Hi. I deleted the 4 registry entries, rebooted, and tried to reinstall. Installation failed again with the same runtime error.

I googled SSE2 technology and it looks like AMD implemented this with the K8 processors. The Athalon XP 3000+ is K7.

Should I give up, or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

The deleted entries are still deleted. There are two other entries that are very similar. Are these OK?

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-865616927-1092659228-7057409-1003\Software\Classes\Software\Classes\exefile

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-865616927-1092659228-7057409-1003_Classes\Software\Classes\exefile

27 minutes ago, hpp said:

I googled SSE2 technology and it looks like AMD implemented this with the K8 processors. The Athalon XP 3000+ is K7.

Should I give up, or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

I will leave that up to @vbarytskyy to decide but I know one of the requirements is SSE2 technology.

@hpp

See if this MB2.1.7 installer will work for you. It will protect for the time being if it is able to install, just keep in mind that with time, support may be dropped.

• Make sure to turn off software upgrades as well. Go to Settings > Update Settings > Uncheck "check for program updates when checking for database updates"
  • After it is installed, run the patch file as well which switches to SSE1 support

Get Old Version Here

Patch file

Edited by vbarytskyy

Vlad,

I installed the old version. Install completed fine but it wouldn't run until I ran the patch file. Now running 2.1.7.1055. I couldn't disable the SW upgrade fast enough maybe... it loaded a new database version v2017.11.20.08. I think the upgrade you want me to avoid is the upgrade to MB 3 while the database upgrades still happen. Correct?

I have the settings like this:

- Notify if database is more than 7 days old (this is selected / checked)

- Check for program updates when checking for db updates (this is not selected / unchecked)

Thank you.