For the last week or so, every time I run a malwarebytes scan (scheduled and additional), the following 6 potential threats are found:

PUP.Optional.Searching.ShrtCln, C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, No Action By User, [16384], [454819],1.0.3268
PUP.Optional.Searching.ShrtCln, C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, No Action By User, [16384], [454819],1.0.3268
PUP.Optional.SearchModule, C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, No Action By User, [675], [458372],1.0.3268

Every time these show up, I quarantine and restart - and the next time I scan, the exact same 6 files are there.

I don't even use Chrome on that computer (it's installed, but I never use it for anything).

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi!

In order to access the sync, it looks like I need to create a chrome "person". I'm not actually signed into chrome, so right now there's nothing to sync. If nothing is actually being synched, could that really be the issue?

I'll create a person and go through those steps, just seems like a lot of work to do something that's more likely to cause problems than to fix anything! (The computer with the problem is older, so it takes 10 minutes every time I reboot it.)

Edited by skovinsky

Hello skovinsky,

If you do not have sync enabled in Chrome then that should not cause the recurrent problem... Looking at the Malwarebytes log entries that you listed there is a user named "owner" that uses Chrome...?

C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data

If you do not use Chrome it may aswell be uninstalled, when complete run Malwarebytes again....

Uninstall Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en-GB follow those instructions, ensure the option to "Also delete your browsing data" is selected. <<--- Very important!!

Navigate to C:\Users\Your user name\Appdata\Local from that folder delete the folder named Google (you will need to show hidden files/folders to see the folder Appdata)

How to show hidden files and folders for windows: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!